VMware Cloud Community
ScottXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

Static IP / Network Configuration lost when converting

Hi Everyone.

Here's my scenario.

I'm in the process of converting roughly 25 Virtual Machines from ESX 3.5 hosts to Brand new ESXi 5.0 hosts.

The conversion process takes place successfully...But i'm noticing that the Static IP's and Network Configuration isn't converting over.

Is there a way to make the newly converted VMs keep the IP configuration from the Source VMs?

I suppose i could just document the network settings and configure each one after the fact...But i'm leery about having to do so.

Anyone have any experience with doing this type of conversion? Any insights?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The easy answer: do not use Converter - just copy the complete directories - register the vmx-file and answer "I moved it@ whne starting the V for the first time.

If you insist on using Converter ... do not order any configuration.
After the VM arrived open the vmx-file in a text editor and rewrite all ethernet* settings with those from the original vmx-file.

During the task make sure you do not change the virtual ethernet devicetype from e1000 to vmxnet3 or the other way round.

But the most reliable way to keep the network config is not to use Converter

0 Kudos
ScottXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

If you insist on using Converter ... do not order any configuration.
After  the VM arrived open the vmx-file in a text editor and rewrite all  ethernet* settings with those from the original vmx-file.

Can you elaborate on the steps involved in this? Where would i find the vmx files?

0 Kudos