VMware Cloud Community
crp0499
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Standalone Converter 5.5, slow P2V, GPT disks, etc

The physical server is 2008 R2.  I installed Standalone Converter on the physical machine.  There is a 250gig C: and a 4.3TB 😧 with 2.7TB used.  the 😧 drive is GPT.

When I run my conversion, with SSL off, the time to complete is three+ days.

The server is on a gigabit network, and when I do a simple file copy from that server to the same destination server as the P2V destination, the copy speeds are off the charts...80MB/s +.  So, I know the network is solid and I know that regular copies are fast, but the P2V is running at < 3MB/s and I cannot determine why.

Again, I've checked the network from end to end and it's good.  Copies are very fast.  It's only my P2V that runs so slowly.

Ideas on why???

Someone suggested that 5.5 still dislikes GPT disks.

Someone suggested the RAID was degraded.  It's not.

Every other aspect of the server runs great.  Only the P2V is killing me.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks

Cliff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Amanda63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

please share the exact transfer rate if its around 3 mbps then there might be network configuration problem .

If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.
0 Kudos
crp0499
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IF I do a copy from the server to a VM on my SAN, it's well over 80 MB/s.  When I do the P2V from the server to the same SAN, it's never above 3 MB/s.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are many factors that defines the overall speed of conversion: reading for source, network, writing to destination. The time to complete is calculated on current transfer speed, it is possible that after hours of working the speed and time to complete to be changed dramatically. Also with Converter 5.5 you can try to transfer both disks simultaneously try to change data connections per task. HTH

0 Kudos
crp0499
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We found that the RAID was degraded.  The indicator lights on the drives were all green, but after looking that the RAID diag software, we saw a degraded RAID 5.  We rebuilt the RAID and our P2V speeds increased substantially.  P2V now down to under one day.

0 Kudos