VMware Cloud Community
VM4Ease
Contributor
Contributor

Standalone Converter 4.0.1 stops at 95%

Hello,

Converting my Windows XP system using the latest VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1 reaches 95% and it shows that it did all the conversion.

However it tells you that it will take about 4 minutes to complete and after about almost 7 hours it still doesn't complete.

I've done this conversion already 7 times and am still not getting it to finish.

What happens is that the system freezes and I can only turn off the system in order to start again. The system won't respond to anything.

This inhibits me from making a screenshot.

If I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del I wont get the Task Manager to possibly kill the task.

What can I do?

Regards

Message was edited by: VM4Ease

I copies the files to my MAC and created a new VM, following the indications of the URL

It gave me the message that it didn't find an operating system. Attached is a Grab.

I take that the reason could be that the conversion of the VM never ended.

It was worth a try as the conversion had indicated that everything was supposedly done.

Reply
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try converting from a boot disk? I have had the same issue - but when I used convertor boot disk, they problem went away.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!!

VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When things like this happen I generally try using the older version of Converter to see if I get the same problem. I have had problems converting with Converter 4.x but then it works without issue with Converter 3.0.3. I would give that a try and see if that helps.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with you, I have done the same thing - and it does work sometime. But, you can't get wrong using cold migration - I have converted over 130 servers - 90% of them were cold migration. Never had a single issue.

Thanks,

Meraz

Reply
0 Kudos
VM4Ease
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm only able to work on this during the weekends due to other work. Hense my delay in getting back to you.

In order to have an up to date Setup Disk, I did a Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP Setup Disk with SP 3.

In the process of doing this, again my system froze totally.

This makes me suspect that there may be a problem with my OS.

However the system boots even though it takes about 4 to 5 minutes to boot.

It may also be due to disk space problems. I have about 2 GB of HD space left (need to clean up the disk).

I managed to create a Setup Disk with SP3 on the MAC, making use of a VM.

I did install a new VM from this disk and that is working.

What do you mean by "Converting from a Boot Disk" and how is that achieved?

Regards

Reply
0 Kudos
VM4Ease
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm only able to work on this during the weekends due to other work. Hense my delay in getting back to you.

In order to have an up to date Setup Disk, I did a Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP Setup Disk with SP 3.

In the process of doing this, again my system froze totally.

This makes me suspect that there may be a problem with my OS.

However the system boots even though it takes about 4 to 5 minutes to boot.

It may also be due to disk space problems. I have about 2 GB of HD space left (need to clean up the disk).

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, as I was pursuing the solution using version 4.0.1.

Should I not be able to do that, I'll try your suggestion.

I've done a conversion in the past with Parallels and it worked.

I decided for VMWare instead.

Regards,

Message was edited by: VM4Ease

I followed your suggestion to check if the system would stall in 3.0.3 and it did.

However it only did this when I tried to close the system.

Here I reached 97% with 7 minutes left for completion.

Between the time it reported the last instruction done and the time I went to try and stop the system was over 3 hours.

The last instruction had to do with drive letters.

I'll try and see if I can get the virtual machine to load onto my MAC.

Regards,

Reply
0 Kudos
VM4Ease
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned, I moved the converted file over to the MAC and tried building the Virtual Machine.
This wasn't successful either.

As a last resort, I did the conversion using Parallels Transporter.
The conversion file was created without any problems.

Then I used Converter 4.0.1 to create the file from the Parallels output to create the Virtual Machine.
This also went without a problem.


This last conversion however I did from an intermediate VM on the MAC.

Being able to create the conversion file under Parallels lets me suspect that Parallels does less checking than VMWare does.


As mentioned before, I also did a Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP Setup Disk with SP 3 an the system also stalled.

Currently my system is converted and runs equally to how it ran on the PC.

Regards,

Reply
0 Kudos
VM4Ease
Contributor
Contributor

Solved using Parallels Transporter as mentioned in the last posting

Reply
0 Kudos