VMware Cloud Community
loganm
Contributor
Contributor

Sorce / target communication

Hi,

I'm going to perform some migrations from a Hyper-V to an ESXi server. On both servers the production VM's are using 1 Gb NIC's as the switches in the environment doesn't have any 10 Gb port. However both hosts actually has 10Gb NIC's, so I'm wondering if I could create a direct connection from each host using the 10 Gb NIC's and use that connection for the conversion? The converter tool will be running from a VM that is not on any of the two hosts (I could put a VM running the converter on one of the hosts), but SCVMM and vCenter will not be on any of the hosts. The conversions will be offline migrations.

If it is possible to achieve this, how would I let the converter know or what specifically should I do - if anything?

Thank you in advance for any hints.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine.
You can use vCenter converter for that migration

Check this guide: A Guide to Converting Hyper-V VMs to VMware by NAKIVO

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

When you do conversions of powered off Hyper-V VMs, Converter Agent service runs directly on the hypervisor (as opposed to running in the source VM when converting powered on VMs).

This implies that what matters is which NIC the agent service will use. I am not sure how best to enforce that. Most likely Windows will use something performant anyway. Eventually you may configure Windows firewall so that the agent uses a specific IP address (I am speculating here).

On the vSphere side - the receiving service should have been configured on a performant network and not require manual tuning. Just in case - if the ESXi host is not managed by vCenter server, you can specify directly its IP address in Converter wizard.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

What you can do in that case is trigger the Migration as if the server was a Physical server by installing vCenter converter on the virtual machine itself
All done with vCenter converter standalone
and yes, you can point to a single ESXi.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm, that's precisely what the OP should not do. The question mentions that the source VMs are on 1GB NICs and he wants to leverage the 10GB NICs available in the infrastructure. Treating them as physical would install the agent inside the VMs and thus do the transfer via 1GB NIC.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
loganm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the answers and sorry for the late reply.

If I am to do 10 Gb direct connection between the two servers I will not be able to use vCenter Converter as I see it as it needs to communicate with both Hypervisors on the IP's. The reason I want to do an offline migration is that I know at which state the VM is (and the data) and I can change the NIC during the migration. As it is only a few VM's I need to migrate I think it will require too much work to set up a 10 Gb switch to leverage the 10 Gb NIC's.

0 Kudos