VMware Cloud Community
trevwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shrinking OpenSuse 11.4

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help, I have an OpenSuse 11.4 virtual machine but the thick provisioned VMDK has been sized too big and I want to reduce it whilst still keeping it thick provisioned.

VMWare converter only shows me the option to do a disk-based copy whereas I want to resize the volumes using volume copy.

I've tried resizing the OS using gparted and using VMWare workstation vmware-vdiskmanager to resize the VMDK also but it just errors if you try to make it smaller.

Any ideas?

I've attached the diagnostic logs.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hmm, may be you should reconfigure it manually. Converter supports SLES, it may not work correctly with OpenSuse.

Try booting the target VM with a live CD, install GRUB (hope it's not an ELILO machine?) and rebuild inirtd image.

(and don't decommission the source until you are sure everything is ok!)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ivivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try to convert is a powered-on source machine.

trevwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, I've been doing it from a powered off machine.  I've just tried with it powered on and it says "Cannot covert a powered-on machine".

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Treat it as a physical machine

trevwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks, I got the option as a physical machine which is excellent and it converted ok, but on bootup kernal paniced, any ideas?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hmm, may be you should reconfigure it manually. Converter supports SLES, it may not work correctly with OpenSuse.

Try booting the target VM with a live CD, install GRUB (hope it's not an ELILO machine?) and rebuild inirtd image.

(and don't decommission the source until you are sure everything is ok!)

0 Kudos
trevwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent, many thanks, that worked.

0 Kudos