VMware Cloud Community
s627y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sharepoint clone not working

I created a virtual machine that is a clone of a physical Sharepoint server. I have renamed my virtual clone so I can do a comparison.

From the surface, everything looks the same. However, when I try to access the servers using the server name in IE:

original server name: Sharepoint01

virtual server name: Sharepoint01-v

The original server will take me to the sharepoint admin page, but the virtual server will just say: Server Application Unavailable. And in the Event Viewer, it shows ASP.net warning and errors. Error message: Failed to execute request because App-Domain could not be created. Error: 0X80070005 Access is denied.

What does this mean? Shouldn't the clone behave exactly the same as the original machine?

Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Answers to your double post .

Simple answer: you can't change the name of a Sharepoint server...at least not easily. I have never successfully been able to do so. I was actually easier for me to build a new Sharepoint server with the new name and restore the data.

As stated in the other thread, clone the server again, but put it on an isolated network. If necessary, clone your DC and put it on the isolated network as well. I have copies of all my servers (virtual & physical) in a test LAN for testing and comparisons, just as you're doing. I have not changed the machine names of any of the copies.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I haven't cloned sharepoint before, but from my experiences some applications do not like to have the computer name changed such as SQL Server. Could you try another clone and put the clone on an internal vSwitch (no pNics attached) and try again?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
s627y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a google on the error, and found somehow the security group under IIS is not cloned. Is this true? Or did I do something not correctly?

Anyway, I added the Sharepoint groups wss_wpg and wss_admin_wpg under IIS sharepoint sites, the virtual clone gives me "This page can not be displayed".

Help anyone?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Answers to your double post .

Simple answer: you can't change the name of a Sharepoint server...at least not easily. I have never successfully been able to do so. I was actually easier for me to build a new Sharepoint server with the new name and restore the data.

As stated in the other thread, clone the server again, but put it on an isolated network. If necessary, clone your DC and put it on the isolated network as well. I have copies of all my servers (virtual & physical) in a test LAN for testing and comparisons, just as you're doing. I have not changed the machine names of any of the copies.

0 Kudos