VMware Cloud Community
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

Service could not be opened: ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

I'm trying to convert a w2k server to ESX 3.01. I'm getting an message stating

vieInstUtil: 07/09/07 03:20:23 Inst_QueryServiceRunningStatus: Service could not be opened: ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

I disabled the viruscan (mcafee's)

What service could it be looking for?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Turning off antispyware, antivirus, and firewalls may not be enough. You may have to double-check taskmngr to be sure they are not still running as processes in the background.

also note that when installing converter onto windows 2000 or after the agent has been installed to windows 2000 during a remote conversion (converter installed to a separate machine), your physical 2000 must be restarted.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

I did go into the task manager and mcafee was not running. VMware convertor could not install the agent on to the source server

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you installing directly onto the physical machine as the local administrator?

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

No its remote and it's with a domain admin account

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What happens when you install directly to the machine as the "local" administrator?

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried that yet. I will have to give it a try tomorrow afternoon as this server belongs to our developers. The first couple of servers were successful doing it remotely, are you recommending to use local installs instead?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, through experience, using the local admin over a domain admin for the physical box may not only resolve your issue but at the least produce accurate data in the logs.

0 Kudos