VMware Cloud Community
travis_paxton
Contributor
Contributor

Scheduling V2V conversions

I've been using VMWare Converter Enterprise to upgrade my virtual machine's partitions to a larger size in ESX 3.5. I would like to schedule a conversion using Virtual Center, but it won't let me schedule one because the source virtual machine is still running. I have already created a scheduled shut down time for the machine. What else can I do other than having to manually start the conversion late at night? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If you use the Converter Plug-In from VirtualCenter, any conversion can be scheduled.

Problem is, if you choose the source as a "Virtual Infrastructure Virtual Machine" ... it needs to be powered off at the time the wizard is run. To choose the "Virtual Infrastructure Virtual Machine", a vm must be powered off, and that's pretty much it.

Alternately, you could use "physical machine" as the source. However, this would require the VM to be Windows based, but would let you generate a conversion.

Lastly, you could schedule a command line conversion using p2vtool .... but you'd need to search the forums and documentation on how to use it.

0 Kudos