VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

SYSPREP questions for Windows Server 2003 x64 ?

Hi All,

I'm confused in the process of Converting my live Domain Controller of Windows Server 2003 Std x64:

1. Does the conversion process leave any footprints on the Domain Controller ?

2. It ask for SYSPREP, does this means the SYSPREP will be installed in the live physical server (The DC ? I hope not.)

3. I've downloaded the SYSPREP but it is in form of WindowsServer2003-KB926028-v2-x86-ENU.exe from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=93f20bb1-97aa-4356-8b43-9584b7e72556&displa...shal I install it in my current physical vCenter Server 4.0 (same server installation as the vConverter 4.0.1)

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

First of all, I would not convert a DC, I would create a new one (Be aware that you might run into problems when you convert a live AD even if the Converter has an open file management (in W2K3 Microsoft OSS is used)!! ALso be aware that the DC is still running while the conversion proceeds, you may loose changes in the meanwhile.

Second, if you want to keep you DC as it is DON'T use sysprep. Don't customize the server while it is converted! You don't need sysprep to convert a machine!

Converter can invoke sysprep if you want to give the new virtual machine a new identity while converting it. But that's not what you want to do, is it?

Have you read the manual of the Converter already? http://www.vmware.com/pdf/converter_standalone_guide401.pdf

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi AWo thanks for the reply,

Ok, I shall proceed with the conversion of the DC without the sysprep, I'm doing this since I'd like to create Test Network VM for every infrastructure physical machine that i have.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos