VMware Cloud Community
lloowen
Contributor
Contributor

Running two VMWare Players on one computer!

Hello all!

I have just started an online course on Windows Server 2003. Doing such a course on server/networking is going to require the minimum of two computers. However thanks to the amazing technology of VMWare Player it is possible to run Windows Server 2003 on a virtual PC and connect it to the host PC. This is what is suggested in the course material if students only have one computer. However the assumption is made that the host PC is using a Microsoft Windows Operating system. My host PC uses a Linux operating system. So there is going to be problems creating a network between the two and I won't be able to follow the course exactly.

So my question is this. Can I run two VMWare Players at the same time, one virtual PC running windows server 2003 and the other virtual PC running WindowsXP. The idea being that I can create a virtual network between the two without disrupting the host PC.

I don't want to mess up my host PC with two different Operating Systems and dual booting. So I'm hoping that it is possible to complete this online course using a virtual server network. One one computer!

Grateful for any help and advice on how to process with this predicament.

Lloowen

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can run multiple copies of Player so that you can have multiple virtual machines running. You can also try using VMWare Server, which is designed to run multiple virtual machines simultaneously. Server is a free download as well. I recommend Server because you can create new virtual machines, where as Player can only run already existing virtual machines. Server is a great place to start learning about virtualization. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos