VMware Cloud Community
ValelaV
Contributor
Contributor

Restore Virtual Machine

Hi,

I plan to use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (v.6.2.0 or later) for converting a physical machine to a virtual one; this operation will produce a file representing the image of my physical workstation, which can then be opened with VMware Workstation Player module (v.16 or later); so my question is:

one the virtual machine will be created, can I restore it (in the foreseeable future) through different versions or vmware software solutions?

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Converter Standalone will ask you which VMware product and version you wish to run the VM on - there is some portability, and the products have export/import options which leverage the OVF format too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ValelaV
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott28tt,

Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance, is OVF format available for VMware vCenter Converter Standalone v.6.2.0 or later? 

0 Kudos