VMware Cloud Community
SRSupport
Contributor
Contributor

Restore VM from a VCB backup with Converter Standalone 4.0.1

Hi.

I'm testing the backup and restore with a combination de Vi3 (ESX 3.5, vCenter 2.5), VCB 1.5, and vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1. Once the backup is done I go to Restore with the converter software. I've selected the source from backup image, then I've choosed a destination type "VMware Infrastrucure virtual machine". In servers details I've provided the name of virtual center and the credentials, in next step I can select a Host from my "Host and cluster" inventory view. I trying to restore over the original server, but a warning message say me that target virtual machine "already exits". How can I to restore forcing a Overwrite? Is possible?

Please , I need a good procedure to restore VM.

Thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In the conversion wizard where you specify the name for thte destination virtual machine, ensure that it is a name which does not already exist in the destination ESX server. In other words, change the name of the destination virtual machine in the conversion wizard.

Regards,

Graham Daly

Knowledge Champion

VMware Inc.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Yes, yo can't overwrite an existing VM with VCB. You are doing the right thing, but only have to create another VM on the converter.

VMware Data Recovery has a function to overwrite VMs. Obviously, use with caution.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos