VMware Cloud Community
viscellM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Required File Format of Fat32 Bootcamp partition

Here is my situation:

I have a Fat32 Bootcamp partition on an iMac and I want to convert it to a strictly Virtual Machine to use on a new Macbook Pro.

When I try to use the Converter I get the error:

"ERROR: Failed to take snapshot of a source volume. Possible Causes include not having any NTFS volumes on Windows XP or Windows 2003 source systems, and not having enough free disk space".

I looked in the manual and couldn't find any mention of the file format needing to be NTFS in order to be converted.

Before I change the file format can anyone tell me that my problem is indeed that it is in Fat32

(I am trying to copy onto a USB Fat32 drive with plenty of space)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Converter uses Microsoft's VSS service to create a "snapshot" of the source volumes which is used for conversion. This service is present on all systems (windows XP, 2k3 onwards). For OSes prior to that we use a 3rd party snapshot driver.

VSS requires at least one of the volumes to be NTFS in order to create the snapshot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Converter uses Microsoft's VSS service to create a "snapshot" of the source volumes which is used for conversion. This service is present on all systems (windows XP, 2k3 onwards). For OSes prior to that we use a 3rd party snapshot driver.

VSS requires at least one of the volumes to be NTFS in order to create the snapshot.

0 Kudos