VMware Cloud Community
Kirk_S
Contributor
Contributor

Repeated P2V failures with Converter 3.0.3 in Enterprise

After a half dozen attempts, a half day reading VMTN and Googling for answers, I'm at my wits end.

I've got an ESX 3.5 environment (with Virtual Center) and a SAN. Four subnets (LAN, Management, iSCSI, VMotion). I'm trying to do my first P2V. I've tried both hot and cold clones without success. First few attempts at hot and cold clones resulted in the Converter dying at 2% with the error "Unable to open file %s." Error logs indicated that it was unable to contact the host on the Management subnet. Well, yeah. The physical server isn't on the VMWare management network, it's on the LAN. I can ping from the VC to the physical box (and vice versa), and the appropriate ports are open. Do P2V candidates need to be on the same subnet as the management network of the VC? I assumed the transfer would take place on the LAN (because why would physical servers be on the VMWare vlans?), but I guess not?

After a few failed attempts, I decided to clone to a file. The two vmdk files (C & D drives) and vmx file created just fine, no errors. I then copied the folder to the VC desktop, browsed datastores with VC, and did a folder import. Then I did an "add to inventory" for the vmx file. Upon completion, I went into VC and looked at the settings for the new VM. The NICs had issues (it accused me of manually editing config files, which I didn't) as did the USB controller. I figured I didn't really need USB, and I could add new vNICs, so I deleted those. But the VM wouldn't power on, telling me that "The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Powered Off)." Please tell me that the English translation of that error isn't "You can't power on this VM because it's powered off."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kirk Smith

Kirk Smith http://twitter.com/KirkInSLO
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kirk_S
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, 28 reads and no responses. I'm doomed. I'd even be happy with a "read this thread" pointer which mocks my lack of ability to search the forums. It's Friday...help a fellow admin out. I'll award points!

Kirk Smith

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

What is the OS that you are trying to p2v? If it is Windows you might try running a chkdsk /R and reboot to let the disk check run. And then try your conversion again.

Might also try using the location of your ESX host as destination and bypass Virtual Center. It will still show up afterward in VC.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Have you follow this procedures ?

If that still failed, than try use VMware Converter bootable CD and see if that does it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Quick test is install VMware workstation 6.x on your laptop with external USB drive as storage. Use converter installed on your laptop and P2V straight from there without any hoops in case firewall or network problems. You have extra port can plug the laptop on the same physical server trying to P2v? that should run quick. If not, you must have issues with hardware drivers, try download VMware P2V Assistant sometimes it help.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Kirk_S
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a rundown of the suggestions:

1. chkdsk. Did that before I tried the migration, not the issue.

2. Clone from CD. Did that, that's what I mean by "cold clone."

3. Did follow the directions at vmland

4. The physical server can't directly see the ESX servers, as they're on a different vlan on a different physical network (as per vmware best practices).

I haven't tried converting any other physical machines, so maybe it's time to figure out something else to convert to see if this is a fluke with this particular server, or if I have a larger issue. I'm suspecting that I need one of the NICs on the production servers to get connected to the management VLAN for the vmware network based on the error logs which show failures to connect (and yet all the pings and setup testing goes fine).

Updates to follow after I attempt on a different box.

Kirk Smith

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Kirk - when you have such conditions like you have now - when nothing seems to work ... it might be easiest to just image the box with the tools you are used to.

I guess you know how to work with Acronis or Ghost ? - So then boot into your favorite tool and just make an image - store it on portable USB-disk and then go to a more friendly environment and continue from there ...

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Keep us posted. Sure sounds like you are doing all the right things so it will be interesting to see what happens when you attempt another machine

IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

"Unable to open file %s."

You probably have bad host name resolution between the source system and the ESX destination. Ideally, they should be on the same subnet, and can resolve each others' host name and FQDN.

the other thing to ensure is that you have port 902 unblocked between them. If you use converter and target virtual center, it becomes a triangle of communication.

If that lets you get a little further, then post the log file from the system you are attempting to virtualize ( %systemroot%\temp\vmware-temp\ )

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

Kirk_S
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, problem solved.

The physical box must be on the same vlan as the management network. Even though everything pings and the tests pass just fine between the physical machine and ESX/VC when they're on their normal respective networks, P2V fails every time at 2%. I disconnected the physical box from the corporate LAN, and cabled it straight to the VLAN ports on the dedicated switch I use for VMWare, and it completed at 100%. There was an "unknown error" at the end, but everything works fine and I've now got that box virtualized and in VC.

Can I award myself points for the correct answer? Smiley Happy

I do appreciate all the help attempts at this. Not sure if others just don't have their network set up the way I do or what the differences are, but I don't think it would have ever worked with the network setup the way I described in the first message.

Thanks again.

Kirk Smith

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Wonder if it could have been a duplex/speed mismatch and using the other network didn't have a mismatch. We have our ESX servers separated out on different VLANs from our servers and I p2v'd from several different VLANs without issue. But a few times I did need to have our network guys switch the settings a port before it would work. Just now thought of that, wish I would have earlier.

0 Kudos