VMware Cloud Community
Bo_B
Contributor
Contributor

Reconfiguration of virtual machine *not* made by Converter?

Say that I have a crashed PC where the disk is OK but the MoBo or something like that is broken.

Then I could make virtual disk clone by using an imaging program like Ghost to image the hard disk to a virtual disk (for example by attaching the disk in a USB dock to the running guest where I have also attached a freshly made virtual disk).

Now, this cloned disk will of course not work as a system disk for a guest due to the hardware issues, so my question now is if it is possible to reconfigure it using the Converter function for reconfiguration even though the virtual disk was not created by the Converter?

When we tested Converter it needed the source system to operate so that the data could be networked over to the Converter program and stored in a virtual disk....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - you can do this.

It is no longer so easy like with P2V-assistant but it still works.

You need to specify a vmx-file which uses the vmdk you want to reconfigure

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Bo_B
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

so that means that I create a new guest and specify to use the existing (cloned) virtual disk, but I don't start it.

Then I can use the reconfiguration utility to adapt the Windows HAL in the guest to the new hardware?

I'll try this ASAP.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Only for NT4 will converter modify the HAL when going to ESX - simply because NT4 VMs can only have 1 CPU under ESX. For all other OSs, converter will not execute HAL modifications. You will need to manually alter this.

0 Kudos
Bo_B
Contributor
Contributor

I am not going to ESX, I am tryingb to convert an HP laptop to a virtual machine (P2V) and oit will then run in Player or WorkStation.

Concerning HAL I might hve been using the wrong term, what I beleíve the reconfiguration does is that it looks into the Windows system in the converted image and changes the hardware drivers etc to what is needed for the new environment inside the guest.

Probably not HAL, even though I believed it was tha name to use.

0 Kudos