VMware Cloud Community
fq13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about VMware Converter Traffic Flow

Hello all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I am doing a P2V on a physical server located at site A and the destination ESXi host is also at site A. However, the "destination" field in the VMware converter has to be the vCenter server which is at Site B (over a 6Mb WAN connection) as the destination host is managed by a vCenter server. My question is if I use the vCenter server (located over a WAN connection) as the destination and then pick the host located at the local site in the Converter, will Converter traffic flow over the WAN? Or will it just flow locally from the Source to the Destination and just use the vCenter server as a "authentication" type server for initial setup?

And as a side note, if I set the destination ESXi host as the destination in converter instead of the vCenter server, I get the error shown in this KB. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=2...

Using Converter 5.5.1

Thanks for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

The traffic goes from the source machine to the destination ESX. You will have a small slowdown in wizard before starting the conversion mainly for getting VC inventory. See the graphics in user guide pp.11-13

Regards

P.S. If you want to do V2V, keep converter server on site A, too as in this case the data goes through it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

The traffic goes from the source machine to the destination ESX. You will have a small slowdown in wizard before starting the conversion mainly for getting VC inventory. See the graphics in user guide pp.11-13

Regards

P.S. If you want to do V2V, keep converter server on site A, too as in this case the data goes through it.

fq13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Plamen!

0 Kudos