VMware Cloud Community
adgross
Contributor
Contributor

Putting partitions on seperate vmdk files

I have a physical machine with 2 partitions on the same RAID set. When I use Converter to transition this server to a virtual machine, I want to make vmdk files for each of these partitions. I am only presented with the option to have both partions on the same vmdk file. Does anyone know of a way to make this happen.

2 options that I have come up with that I don't particularly care for:

1. Only convert the system partition to the VM. Once the conversion is complete, create a seperate vmdk and attach it to the new vm. Restore the backup of this drive onto the new vmdk.

2. Convert both disks. Once the conversion is done, create and add a new vmdk. Change the drive letter of the converted partition to E, make the drive letter of the new vmdk D. Copy files from E to D and remove E. This leaves me with a large vmdk that use to contain both partitions, but now only has one.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mkagzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can also convert each partition individually and then just attach the second vmdk as secondary drive to the first virtual machine that was created with the original partition. Here are the steps:

1) Log on to the source machine as a local admin

2) Run VMware Converter

3) Only select the C: drive to convert

4) This will create a virtual machine with only the C: drive

5) Go back and run converter again

6) This time only select the 😧 drive

7) You may get an error saying no OS or system disk found. This is ok because there is no OS on this partition

😎 A virtual machine will get created with only the 😧 drive

9) You can now attach the 😧 drive to the virtual machine that has the C: drive

10) You can delete the virtual machine that was created when you converted the 😧 drive.

0 Kudos