VMware Cloud Community
Bourny
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with console performance after using converter

:(Hello all, I have VM converter v 3.0.3 and ESX3i v3.5.0

I took a Windows XPSP2 on VMserver(1.0.6) that was 8GB and converter it onto the ESX server without changing the disk size and this works fine the console is repsonsive. Taking this ESX machine image and using converter to produce the same machine but with a 3GB disk is where the problem occurs. You can RDP ok but when using the console the mouse is so slow it is almost unusable. Has anybody else suffered from this sort of thing?

I am currently do a native 3GB XP install on the VMserver to convert to the ESX platform. Any body got any tips on rapid VM machine deployment on the ESX. The Server and Workstation stuff seems to be a lot quicker at this malarky!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like you may not have enough drive space for the proper size pagefile to be created. What are the pagefile settings on the XP machine prior to the conversion?

geob

Bourny
Contributor
Contributor

?:| Ah ha! On conversion it gives you the option of ignoring the system and pagefile should I not select this. The pagefile is set to dynamic sizing what do you think? I might have been a bit tight on the preallocated disk space of 3 GB because I want to run the machines with 512MB RAM with about 2GB of used space...?

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the pagefile could be the issue, I would allow plenty of free space to account for the creation of the pagefile. No page file will cause extremely poor performance.

geob

0 Kudos
Bourny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have repeated some tests and the console performance problem has gone?!

My 2nd conversion from an 8GB on the ESX3i to the 3GB on the same ESX3i seems to have developed the console issue. But repeating the test to try and track where it occurs has proved illusive. If I suffer from the performance issue again I will check the pagefile settingfs

Thankyou for the help anyway was much appreciated.

0 Kudos