VMware Cloud Community
dch53
Contributor
Contributor

Problems virtualiizing PC

Hi. I've given up trying to virtualize my old Windows 10 PC from my new Windows 10 PC. using the instructions at Virtualize a Physical Machine.

Research suggests that there are some port issues. The TCP ones are open but I don't know about the UDP ones. Resolving this is stretching my technical expertise.

I found a recommendation to install WMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on my old PC and do the conversion from there to my new PC.

My user has admin privileges.

I installed WMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on my old PC.

I invoked "Convert Machine", selected "This local machine" as source and clicked Next.

I set destination type to "VMware Workstation VM" and product to VMware Workstation 11.x/12.x", the latest available. I set the location for the VM to a share on my new PC.

A short while after starting the conversion I get Status "Failed: Insufficient permissions to access the source."

Any idea why my admin credentials insufficient please?

Thanks, Dave.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you right click, "run as administrator"? Just being logged on as an administrator may not be enough.

Lou

0 Kudos
dch53
Contributor
Contributor

I wondered if I'd be able use WMware vCenter Converter Standalone to virtualize the PC to an external hard drive. Sure enough, it worked!

I did have to run WMware vCenter Converter Standalone as administrator.

Windows wants to be activated which I wasn't expecting.

I suppose it's detecting a changed hardware environment.

0 Kudos