dch53
Contributor
Contributor

Problems virtualiizing PC

Hi. I've given up trying to virtualize my old Windows 10 PC from my new Windows 10 PC. using the instructions at Virtualize a Physical Machine.

Research suggests that there are some port issues. The TCP ones are open but I don't know about the UDP ones. Resolving this is stretching my technical expertise.

I found a recommendation to install WMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on my old PC and do the conversion from there to my new PC.

My user has admin privileges.

I installed WMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on my old PC.

I invoked "Convert Machine", selected "This local machine" as source and clicked Next.

I set destination type to "VMware Workstation VM" and product to VMware Workstation 11.x/12.x", the latest available. I set the location for the VM to a share on my new PC.

A short while after starting the conversion I get Status "Failed: Insufficient permissions to access the source."

Any idea why my admin credentials insufficient please?

Thanks, Dave.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you right click, "run as administrator"? Just being logged on as an administrator may not be enough.

Lou

0 Kudos
dch53
Contributor
Contributor

I wondered if I'd be able use WMware vCenter Converter Standalone to virtualize the PC to an external hard drive. Sure enough, it worked!

I did have to run WMware vCenter Converter Standalone as administrator.

Windows wants to be activated which I wasn't expecting.

I suppose it's detecting a changed hardware environment.

0 Kudos