VMware Cloud Community
thejmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with converting a Xen VM (.xva) to a VM Ware VM (.vmdk)

Hi,

I have a Citrix VM that I'm trying to convert to use on a VM Ware ESXi server.

This is the progress I've made so far:

Attempt 1:

1. I've used Citrix XenConvert to conver the image from .xva to .ovf

2. I tried to upload this image to ESXi using the Deploy OVF Template but I get the following error: Line 1: Could not parse the document: 'encoding specified in XMl declaration is incorrect' (I've attached a copy of the XML file)

Attempt 2:

1. I used Citrix XenCenter to export an image of my Xen VM in the .ovf format.

2. I tried to upload this image to ESXi using the Deploy OVF Template but I get the following error: The OVF package uses an unsupported disk format. Details: Line 1: Unsupported value 'http://www.microsoft.com.technet/virtualserver/downloads/vhdspec.mspx' for attribute 'format' on element 'Disk'.

Attempt 3:

1. I used to converted image from Attempt 1 as a source Virtual Machine using the VMWare Converter tool. However, I get the following error: Unable to load the source virtual machine or image. The file migh be corrupt, or of an unsupported format.

My next attempts at converting this image is going to be using VMWare's OVF Tool and Citrix's Kensho Project.

Any help with this is super appreciated!!

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you forgot to mention the most important detail - what OS is running inside that VM

did you try to install VMware Converter inside that VM ?

did you try to unzip the ovf package and proceed from there ?

ovf is the most over-rated tool that exists - it usually only works if sending and receiving platform is identical

thejmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Quick update .... I'm trying to convert a Linux machine .....  also VMWare Converter helped me make this conversion successful!!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
williamlagerber
Contributor
Contributor

CAn you explane what the solution was. ??

I am also trying to convert a HyperVM VPS to VMWare and tryed it with VMWare converter installed in my vcenter server.

So i could use a helping hand.

PS i am rather new at VMWare so be gentle.

Regards William

0 Kudos
thejmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi William!

I used the VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone Client 4.3.0 Build 292238 to convert my powered on linux VM that was running on XenCenter (I had to provide admin credentials to that linux VM). The vCenter Converter asked for details about my ESXi server and then simply created a new VMWare VM based on the source details it took from my orginal Linux VM.

So it would look something like this in a sequence of events:

XenCenter Linux VM -> vCenter Converter -> ESXi Server

Once on the ESXi server, I could export it in the form of an OVF or OVA!

Hope this was clear. Let me know if you have any questions. I will definitely try and answer them Smiley Happy

James

0 Kudos
shaverdoff
Contributor
Contributor

Good day, i was read you post about import vmware vm inside xenserver to esxi through vmware converter... would you be a pice of kind completley explain how you do this.

after i make task and point vm vmware converter makes vm in esxi and trying to convert my vm but it stop

with this error

Powering on the destination virtual machine to run as the Converter helper server.

FAILED: A general system error occurred:

failed to poweron vm

i thoughts that i am make some mistake from understading what i want and what converter can do...

so please guide me about this task if you would.. thank you

0 Kudos