VMware Cloud Community
mpdillon
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with a P2V converted web server

I used the VMware P2V conversion tool to copy my physical web server to a VM (Workstation edition). The physical machine is a Win 2008 Server with IIS 7. The VM will start and every thing seems to run. But it will not return the web site when the address is typed in the address bar. I get a generic address not found message. I have checked and the site is Started. I have stopped and restarted it in IIS 7.

I have turned off the VM and restarted the physical machine. The web site stil works when I start the physical machine. I use fixed IP addresses and they have not changed.

What could have changed during the conversion that would prevent the web site from running? Is there some sort of address or ID (maybe MAC address) that I need to worry about? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

pat

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i have converted many IIS servers and they just worked out of the box. Could you double confirm there are not missing drives (if the website files are stored in other folders and the drive letter got messed up).

i would take this as a traditional IIS troubleshooting, like can you create a new website and to make sure that by default the IIS is working before moving into the website settings and further.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Can you access the website from the server locally?  What host are you running Workstation on, and have you verified that the firewall on the host OS isn't getting in the way?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mpdillon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. It has been 2 1/2 years since I built this machine. It is the only web server I ever built and I have forgotten a lot. To answer some of your questions:

http://localhost/EasySchedule/startpage.aspx returns a 404 error. I checked and startpage.aspx is at the top of the home page list. Is this the correct syntax for accessing the page though local host?

The host OS is Win 7 64 bit Pro. I have disabled the firewall.

I do not recall how to create a new test web site.

There were no other drives required to be converted.

I may just reconvert the machine. It only takes an hour or so.

Thanks,

pat

PS Sorry for the tardy response. I was working all day.

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Duble check the VM/Guest NIC settings. Was it set as "Bridged" or "NAT" or "Host Only" before? I would think it was bridged.

Let us all know.

Thanks

mpdillon
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I found. I reconverted the physical server but the same problem persisted.

I noticed that server manager was reporting that the Server Service did not start. I looked for a resolution for that and could not find one. But in looking, I went into network settings. My Fixed IP had been replaced with an automatic IP setting. I guess this happened when the conversion process replaced the physical NIC card with a virtual one. Anyway, when I set the IP to the previous Fixed setting I received an error message saying that the IP I had entered was still attached to the Physical NIC which could not be found. Fortunately, the message was actually a question asking if I wanted to delete the old physical NIC. I answered Yes. Rebooted. Everything started working. I guess dumb luck is better than bad luck.

I had saved screenshots to explain all of this but I unfortunately can't remember where I saved them.

thanks everyone for your input.

pat

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

You're still not done. After a P2V, best practice is to clean out any/all "Ghosted" devices. These may cause problems later. Follow the instructions in this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/da6f6847-5e1a-4b73-9f33-98e8...

It's best to get rid of all of them becuase although they are ghosted, they still take up resources. There's quite a bit of them so have a cup of coffee and donuts with you when you do it. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
mpdillon
Contributor
Contributor

COS,

Thank you. I had no idea. This may help also with my "PHOTO" computer which I converted.

pat

0 Kudos