VMware Cloud Community
harshgw2k3
Contributor
Contributor

Problem importing a Win7 machine onto ESX4 host

Hi Folks,

Having an issue while importing a Win 7 machine with min disk size (28 GB) on a ESX4 host with vCenter converter 5.0.0.

vCenter version is 4.0.

Error message is-

"Import Machine

Failed to take snapshot of a source

volume. Possible causes include not

having any NTFS volumes on

Windows XP or Windows 2003

source systems, and not having

enough free disk space."

There is enough free disk space on the datastore where I am trying to import.

Can anyone let me know possible cause and solution to this?

Thanks

vmrockin

Harshal GAIKWAD Regional IT Infrastructure Officer BNP Paribas Gulf Group Regional IT Department 4th Floor, BFH West Tower, P.O. Box 5253, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain Tel: +973 -17866429 (internal ext 6429) Mobile: +973-36878481
Tags (2)
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you goto the source machine and check if you are using FAT32 volume or does the drive has enough free space

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VSS needs space on the source disk for the snapshot, it also requires the source machine to have at least one NTFS volume, hence this message. However this is a general message and the error could have been something else. If you want more precise error, look at the worker's log.

If you know these requirements are met, you may just try restarting the VSS service and attempt the conversion again.

HTH

Plamen

harshgw2k3
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Akash,

This is a Win 7 machine and FAT32 is not used, also there is enough free space on the PC as well as datastore.

What I have suspectd is that there is a space issue on the vCenter server itself where the VMware converter is installed.

I guess it needs free space on the vCenter server to temporarily save files. I will check that.

Thanks

Harshal GAIKWAD Regional IT Infrastructure Officer BNP Paribas Gulf Group Regional IT Department 4th Floor, BFH West Tower, P.O. Box 5253, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain Tel: +973 -17866429 (internal ext 6429) Mobile: +973-36878481
0 Kudos