VMware Cloud Community
dilpz
Contributor
Contributor

Problem converting win2k3 Domain controller from ESX 2.5.2 to 3.0.2 using VMWare convertor

Hi Guys,

I tried to convert one of our Windows 2003 standard domain controllers from our old ESX 2.5.2 infrastructure to our new ESX 3.0.2 infrastructure yesterday. We are using the latest version of VMWare convertor and using the 'cold clone' process. Usually, when I have migrated other VMs using this process, the VM being converted loses its network config as it has a new network card so we log in using the local admin account on the machine and then re-enter the IP, subnet mask, gateway etc (these servers all have static IPs) and this is fine. However, in this case, we are trying to migrate a Domain controller which obviously has no local admin account but should allow you to login using your domain account as the SAM database is stored local to that machine. In this case however, it doesnt. It just shows 'the system could not log you on, please check your username and password' etc.

At first I thought that changing the Domain controller to have the global catalog FSMO role would allow me to log in as this was not the global catalog DC originally but it didnt help and i'm still having the same problem. The DC now has the global catalog and infrastructure master FSMO roles on it. Can anyone shed any light as to why this is happening or give me something that I can try which will allow the DC to keep its IP information and see the domain as soon as it is converted?

Please help!!!!

Dilpz

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ascari
Expert
Expert

Hi, it is possible thath your problem deving from error of ip address alredy used when you try to set again in you clone vm for esx 3.x?. In this case take a look here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/853389#853389

Anyway, you can also convert your vmdk file rappresenting your old vm for esx 2.5 with vmdkfstools -i. This is a good article: http://communities.vmware.com/message/661575

Is not a bad idea (if is possible) create a new DC and migrate all FSMO roles in traditional mode.

I hope to have been of aid. Bye Alberto

0 Kudos