VMware Cloud Community
zipz
Contributor
Contributor

Problem converting from vCenter to Server 1.x

I've using my server at vmhosts I also use there backup service. Once in a while I tell them to upload the backup image so that I can convert it to my own vmware server with version 1.x. In the past (about 6-12 months ago) it went whitout any problems but last days I got problem. If I use the latest version of the vmware converter 4.3 I thet problem after the convert. "The version of the virtual disk is newer than the version supported by this program".

It took several hours to search for the error but found it. I have to use the vmware converter version 4.01 and it works.

The question is why can't 4.3  of the vmware converter convert the file to server 1.x if the older version can?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities - I will bet the newer version of converter no longer supports 1.x version of vmware server and only supports the 2.x version of server - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

moving from ESX 4 to VMserver 1 is trivial - just download vmx plus vmdk to the vmserver1 - make some small edits and go

post vmx and the small descriptor vmdks if you are unsure

there is no need to torture the poor VM with Converter

note: some guestOS will simply not work in VMserver1

0 Kudos