VMware Cloud Community
klure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem converting a physical Ubuntu 14.04 server

Hi there. Anyone else tried to convert a physical Ubuntu 14.04 installation? For me it fails at grub-version check it seems like.

I also tried it on 12.04 and it works fine. The differense is this:

12.04:

$ grub-install -v

grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-21ubuntu3.14

14.04:

$ grub-install -V

grub-install (GRUB) 2.02~beta2-9

In 14.04 I have to use capital V for version check. Is it possible to change this in the Converter? I'm using Converter version 5.5

The result seems to be that the converter installs the wrong version of grub, or not at all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved the issue by following this workaround:

VMware P2V Conversion: GrubInstaller Error During Conversion of Debian Linux Host | Mantraaz

I guess this is the only solution since you cannot change anything in the Converter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it is hardcoded in Converter code and there is no option to change it :-(.

Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved the issue by following this workaround:

VMware P2V Conversion: GrubInstaller Error During Conversion of Debian Linux Host | Mantraaz

I guess this is the only solution since you cannot change anything in the Converter.

0 Kudos
MunkhB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Now you can convert Ubuntu 14.04 Server with newly released VMware vCenter Converter 6.0.0.

I tested it personally and it converts and boots without issue.

Cheers,

Munkhbayar Batkhuu

ptitchoux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I vouch for that to !

With vConverter Standalone 5.5 I had the Grub problem but once vConverter was update the convertion was done without a hickup ! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ostraaten
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This could be true.

If you mean that you can convert when you have VMware infrastructure server, this could be true.

The standalone converter requires a VMWare Infrastructure server. I don't understand how they could call this a standalone product because it won't work without a infrastructure server. I don't understand what standalone means.

0 Kudos
JamesHorvath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter 6.0.0 build 2716716

Debian 6.04 to esxi 6

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'GrubInstaller::InstallGrub: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh failed with return code: 127, and message: /vmware-updateGrub.sh: line 63: grub2-install: command not found /vmware-updateGrub.sh: line 71: grub2-install: command not found Error installing GRUB Command: grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sda Error running vmware-updateGrub.sh through chroot into /mnt/p2v-src-root /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh: line 147: /mnt/p2v-src-root:
Is a directory Installing GRUB2 on (hd0)... Installing GRUB2 on (hd0) failed. Installing GRUB2 on /dev/sda... '

Edit: able to boot live cd:rescue:mount root:reinstall grub

Had to reconfig partitions though

0 Kudos
ptitchoux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your not obliged to send the converted image to a different VMware server. You can place the image locally on your laptop or on a External HDD. Once you have the converted .vmdk file you could open it with VirtualBox on a desktop.

It all depends on your use case Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
valcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do have the same problem, trying a P2V migration Linux to VMWare.

I have Fusion 8 Pro on my Mac Pro only. How can I use the migration assistant standalone (version 6) to create VMWare files? It keeps asking me for an infrastructure server as destination. How do you specify a file destination?

0 Kudos