VMware Cloud Community
Reswob10
Contributor
Contributor

Problem converting XP part of dual boot system

I have a dual boot system (XP and Ubuntu) and I'm trying to use converter to create a VM image of the XP install to use in VMPlayer in Ubuntu. I have two physical hard drives with the first 20 GB hard drive having 2 partitions (31 MB for Dell's garbage and \[C:] 18.59 NTFS for XP) and the second 40 GB hard drive having 3 partitions (25.87 GB for Linux, \[E:] 9.86 GB FAT32 and 1.54 GB Linux swap).

When I go through the import wizard to create the image, I get to the step where you pick the source data showing the multiple drives and I try to pick the two Windows drives (C: and E:) but the wizard tells me

"You have not selected to import one or more system/active volume(s). Without these volume(s), you will be unable to boot the virtual machine. Do you want to continue?"

The only drives showing in the wizard as system, active or system/active are the C: and E:.

The first time through, I selected continue, but when I attempted to run the virtual machine that was created in Ubuntu (using VMPlayer 1.0.2), it wouldn't boot. There was a white line along the bottom that filled in about 1/3 of the way across, then everything froze. \[I'll get the log file in a later post].

My first thought is that the above error is having a direct impact on the image I created. Any ideas as to how I can get past that error? Are there answers to my questions already out there? Any links/suggestions/pointers/ page-numbers-in-the-manual-where-I-overlooked-something-due-to-a-sleep-deprived -brain-would-be-appreciated....

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Reswob10
Contributor
Contributor

As promised, here's the log file. Or rather excerpts from the log.

The end of the log files has several lines with the following:

Apr 11 19:06:03: vcpu-0| FLOPPYLIB-LIB : read: syserror Input/output error.

Apr 11 19:06:03: vcpu-0| FLOPPYLIB-LIB : read: syserror Input/output error.

Then a couple lines repeating the following:

Apr 11 19:06:04: vcpu-0| BUSLOGIC: Store HAL\[16] = 0xffff

Apr 11 19:06:04: vcpu-0| BUSLOGIC: Store HAL\[18] = 0xfe02

Then this line:

Apr 11 19:06:07: vcpu-0| Unknown int 10h func 0x2000

Followed by more:

Apr 11 19:06:07: vcpu-0| BUSLOGIC: Store HAL\[16] = 0xffff

Apr 11 19:06:07: vcpu-0| BUSLOGIC: Store HAL\[18] = 0xfe02

The finally:

Apr 11 19:06:33: mks| MKS lock got type None

At which point the VM machine didn't do anything.

Hope this helps..

0 Kudos