VMware Cloud Community
sergef1973
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Converting Old HP Server

I am trying to convert old HP Server tc4100 that is running windows 2000 OS. The Server has three 18 GB hard drives in Raid5 configuration. Drives has the following partitions: HP_UTILITY (31 MB FAT), C drive (4 GB NTFS) and E drive (30 GB NTFS).

My prolem is when I do conversion, the system only sees the first two partitions bit not the last one. I am attaching a picture to show this. Another thing, I am not sure if its related or not, I can't select SCSI LSI Logic option in disk controller. The only options I have for Disk Controller are: SCSI Bus Logic, IDE and preserve source. I tried all of them but I still don't see E drive.

Does anyone had similar problem and know how to fix it?

Thank you in advance,

Serge

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Wow I never tried to convert such an old HP Server; and I'm sure you dont want to convert the HP_Utility Partition.

A.) If you have Boot and Systempartition (Partition where ntldr, boot.ini and %windir%) is hosted on partition C you could stop all services and programs running on partition E:, convert C and make a new partition in your VM you converted and copy the stuff on partition E

B.) Have you tried to boot the Server with the Boot-CD of Converter to convert the Server when it's offline?

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
sergef1973
Contributor
Contributor

You are right, I will not going to convert utility partition. I was just showing it in the picture as a demonstation.

Yes all my system staff is on C partition, so I can defenetely try solution A. If I go with this solution, can you tell me how to create a new partition or give me the link to the site that gives instructions on how to do it.

I don't have Converter Boot-CD. I checked with vmware and this disk is only available to the enterprise customers. Do you know the site where I can get it?

0 Kudos
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When your Server is converted use Virtual Infrastructure Client to connect to ESX, chose the VM you have created with converter, go to EDIT SETTINGS of the VM, on the Tab Hardware use the ADD Button and Add a Harddisk. You gonna be guided through the adding a new harddisk process. After you are done with it reboot or start your VM go to Device Manager and add the new harddisk like you would do it on a physical Server.

Well i gues the CD is only available for Enterprise Customers and I dont know any other place to download it beside the VMware Site.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

and I dont know any other place to download it beside the VMware Site.

You can easily make a better one yourself

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos