VMware Cloud Community
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Converting Image with Acronis

Hi,

We have a dell server running Windows Server 2008 64-bit and I want to take an image of that and convert it to a virtual machine.

I have done this before with other servers and it has worked fine but I have got a problem with this one where once the image is either convertered using Acronis convert to virtual image or restoring it to the virtual machine using the Universal Restore the virtual image starts to boot and then blue screens with the error code 0x0000007B.

I have been looking on the internet and from what I can gather it is something to do with the disk controller. The server I am converting is a fairly new server and has a DELL PERC 6/i Integrated RAID SAS Controller.

Does anybody know how I can get round this problem, is there a certain driver I need to somehow inject into the image?

Thanks,

Danny

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

with win2008 thats easy - see my notes and follow them to the letter - then it should work

see patching "easy variant"

http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html#patchingt

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is is not possible to do this with the Acronis convert to virtual disk method?

The reason I ask is because in the past we have scheduled a job in Acronis to run each night to create an image, then should the server fail we can take that image, convert it to a virtual disk and boot the virtual machine as a temporary solution before we repair/replace the server.

This has always been fine until this problem with server 2008 and the 7b bluescreen.

Any help apprecitated.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is is not possible to do this with the Acronis convert to virtual disk method?

? - whats the problem ? - feel free to use that way if you like it.

The final patching with the 2008 R2 or Windows 7 LiveCD is a matter of 3 minutes only ...

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I think I mis-understood you.

So I convert the machine as normal then on first boot follow the instructions on your website for the easy variant and I should be good to go?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yep - make sure you create the virtual disk with a lsi-sas controller

0 Kudos
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I finally got chance to try this but I'm still getting the 0x0000007b error. I booted the VM up with the Windows 7 Live CD, went into regedit, loaded the hive as per the instructions but the dword value for the startup was already set to 0 so there was nothing to change there really. I rebooted and still got the 0x00000007b error.

To create the virtual machine I have taken an Acronis image and then used to conver to virtual machine option and then added it to the VM - I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I have attached a copy of the vmx file.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sorry - I have to ask a stupid question ...

Are you sure you loaded the hive of the offline Windows and not the one of the LiveCD ?

Two or three users that i tried to guide along this procedure reported the same issue - but in fact they had checked the registry of the LiveCD instead of the p2v-candidate ...

please doublecheck this - can you post the vmware.log from the livecd run ?

0 Kudos
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for all your help, I was editing the registry of the livecd (oops) but as soon as I saw your post I saw where I was going wrong.

Thanks again

Dan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

al is well that ends well Smiley Wink

do you have suggestions for the howto ?

maybe it is missguiding ?

I maybe too used to doing this to notice ....

0 Kudos
danpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No the instructions were fine, it was just me being a bit stupid and trying to edit the wrong registry.

I'm going to make a new post in the help forum but I just wondered if you had any experience of converting a Windows 2008 R2 server from P2V. I have converted it, made the change to stop the 0x00000007b error and it boots into windows and then sticks on 'applying computer settings' and then it will eventually turn itself of.

I can boot into safe mode and it goes in fine, likewise I can boot into safe mode and then select diagnositic startup and then let it reboot and it will go in fine so I assume it a service that is trying to start in normal mode that is causing the problem.

Have you any ideas what it could be or anyway I can find out as you can't go into event viewer in safe mode.

I thought installing vmtools might help but I can't install it in safe mode Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos