VMware Cloud Community
ObibiniKwasi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Preferred P2V solution (vCenter Converter or VEEAM)

So I'm analyzing and getting ready to convert a provided list of physical servers to vmware VMs and wondering what is the best solution to use. Do I use vCenter Converter or VEEAM? I want to know what most people are using out there and any pros and cons with each of them.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As far as I know, Veeam doesn't provide any p2v conversion tool. So, in this case, you'd better stick to VMware vCenter Converter. However, once the remaining physical VMs are converted, you will need something to back them up. This is exactly where Veeam might become very helpful for you. Smiley Happy

Cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I guess the answer you will get in this forum is known in advance Smiley Wink

ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As far as I know, Veeam doesn't provide any p2v conversion tool. So, in this case, you'd better stick to VMware vCenter Converter. However, once the remaining physical VMs are converted, you will need something to back them up. This is exactly where Veeam might become very helpful for you. Smiley Happy

Cheers.

0 Kudos
etorre46
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I realize this is an older thread, but just in case anyone just getting started with virtualization is looking for help, here is my experience.

I would go with VMware Converter Standalone as the simplest solution because it works.  If you can't do a hot migration, then try a cold migration.  If that still doesn't work, or if you need another workaround due to security zoning on your network, then I've used Acronis True Image as a last resort.

And yeah, the typical answer in this VMware-centric forum is going to be the VMware solution, but sometimes you may have to get a little creative if it just won't work.  Everything is usually based on requirements. ATE wasn't a one step process though, and I had to have a "transient" location to export images to before importing to vCenter (and it will connect to vCenter or a host).  Sometimes being able to do this because of security/network zoning and firewalls in between, may be the better way to go, otherwise you're looking at swiss-cheesing the firewall for converter ports if you don't already have rules in there for it.  Out of 400ish P2Vs, I maybe only had to use this last resort 10-15 times (old HP BL20 blades ... grrrrr).

If the server is really small or provides a simple re-creatable service (like an IIS server or "Jump Box", and is way overdue for an OS upgrade), you also have the option of building a new VM to take the role, and migrating off the hardware altogether.  Much cleaner process than having to rip out all the HW specific software like [insert vendor name here] tools/agents, and having to clean out hidden devices in your device manager.

No, i'm not asking for hardware requirements... give me workload requirements.