VMware Cloud Community
racerzer0
Contributor
Contributor

Possible Import problem?

We have been importing VMs from ESX 2.5.3 over to ESX 3.0.1 using the new Converter tool. Once the new VM is built and powerd on, I noticed that the NICs were not assigned the IPs that the old VM had. When I attempt to type in the IP info, I get a warning that VM network adapter already has this IP even though it is hidden.

I did not have this problem, prior to the re-release of the VM Converter on Thursday.

Anyone experience this issue?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When you import a VM from ESX Server 2.x to 3.x, the virtual hardware is changed and the old virtual NIC is archived and a new one is added.

If you want to see the old NIC, use the cmd window and type:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

Then go to Device Manager and select View > Show Hidden Devices

0 Kudos
MBrownHenn
Contributor
Contributor

pangchen,

I have run the command

But the deleted or hidden NIC's still don't show up in the Device Manager. I have done this before on a physical server, but never had to do it on a VM. Any ideas why this does not work?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did you run

devmgmt.msc

from one cmd ?

You can manually clean phantom nics by checking

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

for nics that Windows has configured.

Once you got the \{*******************} service-name - go to HKLM\services\controlset001 and delete the service and the entries for that service in TCPIP ...

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

That should work as he stated. I've done this dozens of times to cleanup my old hardware after a conversion. Here's the Microsoft technote on it...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269155

0 Kudos