VMware Cloud Community
virt_pimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please insert disk

I recently downloaded the latest beta of VMI and attempted to import a Windows 2003 server from a GSX (3.X) server to an ESX 3.0 server. After about a half hour the process was complete apparently without issue.

However, when I try to fire up the machine I am prompted to see if I would like to change the type of SCSI controller as the VM is set up with a BusLogic controller but the VM has a LSIlogic controller. I allow the ESX server to correct this issue and am them prompted to inset a boot disk as one can not be found. Smiley Sad I have tried to set the controller type back to its original setting, BusLogic, only to get the same results.

Has any one else experienced this issue? I have scanned the VMX file and everything appears to be in order, i.e. it isn't referencing the VMDK file in the wrong directory. As I write this it dawns on me that I should try creating a new VM referencing the newly imported VMDK. I will try that and post my results shortly, but if there is anything else that I could try please let me know.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
virt_pimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry... I have tried to import the VM to both the ESX directly as well as the VirtualCenter (2) server.

Also, as a side note, when I run the VMI from the GSX server I received the following error: An internal error r has occurred (sysimage.fault.UnableToDetermineGuestOS). Please contact VMware for support or additional information.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Could you pls post the logs from the import as well as the source vmx file?

You would find the logs in the VMware Virtual Machine Importer 2 directory under Program Files\VMware.

Thanks.

Dushyanth.

0 Kudos
virt_pimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#!/usr/bin/vmware

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

floppy0.present = "true"

nvram = "Artemis.nvram"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "default"

powerType.suspend = "soft"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Artemis"

extendedConfigFile = "Artemis.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "true"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "256"

scsi0:0.present = "true"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Artemis.vmdk"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

ide1:0.present = "true"

ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/cdrom"

ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"

floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"

ethernet0.present = "true"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"

ethernet0.networkName = "Servers"

ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"

guestOS = "winnetenterprise"

uuid.location = "56 4d fe 49 4f 7c 3f 23-27 7b 00 ce be e1 83 00"

debug = "true"

sched.cpu.min = "0"

sched.cpu.units = "mhz"

sched.cpu.shares = "normal"

sched.mem.minsize = "0"

sched.mem.max = "256"

sched.mem.shares = "normal"

autostart.order = "30"

autostart = "poweron"

autostop.order = "30"

autostop = "softpoweroff"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

priority.grabbed = "normal"

priority.ungrabbed = "normal"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

undopoint.disableSnapshots = "true"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:ab:0d:47"

uuid.bios = "50 2b bc 1e 0c bd 3a 62-43 59 4b c5 66 1e 70 b2"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/2cb71ccc-832853ab/Artemis/Artemis-612de6f2.vswp"

0 Kudos
virt_pimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The forum engine did not like all of the "code" in the log so I have included a link to it.

VMI Log[/url]

VMX File[/url]

Cheers!

0 Kudos
virt_pimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I went through the same importing process this morning and got the same error. But, as I mentioned above this time I tried creating a new VM (on the ESX server) using the VMDK file that was imported. The system started up fine accept for again being prompted to change from LSI to BUS logic -- although when I created the VM I specified LSI I was still prompted -- I said "no" and the system fired right up.

OK, I copied the new "test" VM VMX file over the original VMX file created by VMI; leaving the path the VMDK as the fully qualified path and the system started right up. Again I was prompted to change the controller type; although the VMX file said that SCSI should be LSI the VMDK file says that it is BUS.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

Ideally, the VM should be able to poweron regardless of whether you request VC to correct the controller or not.

Could you tell me whether the source VM had multiple disks?

Did the source VM have IDE or SCSI disks?

0 Kudos