VMware Cloud Community
dmmcd
Contributor
Contributor

Physical Windows 7 VM of C: only

Hi all,

I am new to vCenter 6.1.1 and in over my head. I want to create a Windows 7 VM of just my C: drive add it to VirtualBox vm.  I have read the documentation but it doesn't cover the sizing or partitions you actually want to include in the conversion. It seems to think you want everything.  When I launched the creation it includes 😧 which is huge and I will move that second physical hd to the new machine. Perhaps I should try taking it out now - just makes working difficult while I get the new PC up and running.

Previously, my first attempt was to create a Windows System image, transferred it to an external hard drive but VBox could not see it as it only looks for isos in the DVD try to install OS. Can I convert that system image to iso or VM and chuck it into the new virtual machine on the new PC?

Best wishes,

Denise

Tags (1)
2 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Use disk2vhd tool from sysinternals to create vhd image for your c drive only. Then convert to vmdk using free converter tool ( starwind ).

0 Kudos
MDNaseer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Install a VMware P2V Standalone converter (is a free download able tools from VMware) on the physical Machine. 

- Start the P2V of Local Machine

- Select only C: drive

- Resize the partition as required

This will create only VM with only C: drive and also risizing of partition is also available in P2V converter.