VMware Cloud Community
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Performance problem with "Standard PC" processor!!! HELP

I'm having problems with 2 other P2V'ed virtual machines having high spike on resources and noticed there are not listed as "ACPI Multilprocessor or Uniprocessor" but instead shows "Standard PC" and I've tried to update driver and go through the wizard I don't have the options to select multi or uniprocessors. Is there a way to change from Standard PC to uniprocessor or multiprocessor virtual machine?

20 other P2V'ed machines doesn't have this "Standard PC" processor and works fine no spike issue on resources.

These two VMs are killing me using too much resources at 3000MHz each on performance tab Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good news is that I've found the old thread that has the tools and scripts to do so here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/129871 its a year old thread Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone has any idea what a "standard PC" CPU type on virtual machine after P2V'ed. It seems this cause me great performance spike on CPU and I wanted to change to uniprocessor but doesn't have that option when "update driver" wizard. I've installed Microsft KB patch to roll back to uniprocessor but didn't work please help.

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We've had a couple of P2V'd machines with this problem. The biggest one was a P2V of a multiproc box. We tried converting it to a uniprocessor but the problem wouldn't go away and there is no rhyme or reason to what triggers the CPU spike. Basically, at random intervals the CPU spikes to 100% and will stay there until it is restarted. We've tried looking at the processes with sysinternals but there is no obvious culprit. Our hope is that rebuilding the VM from scratch will solve the problem.

vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i would love to resolve this performance issue and how to convert back to uniprocessor mode. thanks.

0 Kudos
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

does anyone know any details about converting standard pc to uniprocessor ?

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should post a screen shot showing what you are seeing; i.e., where "Standard PC" is being displayed.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For some reasons, after P2V'ed one machine has Standard PC instead of Uniprocessor HAL, so we have to use devcon.exe tool from M$ to script it to convert it. You can't seem to do it from the GUI but has to use that tool and scripted but I forgot to place the script elsewhere so I can attach for you and this were a year ago.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good news is that I've found the old thread that has the tools and scripts to do so here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/129871 its a year old thread Smiley Happy

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos