VMware Cloud Community
keninem
Contributor
Contributor

Partimage conversion?

I see in the writeups that VMWare converter can convert ghost image files to virtual machines, but can it also convert partimage images? Or does anyone know of a way to convert partimage to ghost, so that I can then do the VMWare conversion?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter can not handle *.gho files - whatever the doc may say about that.

So trying to convert your partimage backup to ghost would be futile.

Ok - I assume you have a partimage of a Windows NT* system - like XP or 2k or 2k3.

Then create a new VM - boot into a LiveCD that can handle partimage files and restore the image like you would do with real metal.

Then when done - use Converter to configure the new VM - you then must select the vmx-file in Converter.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

keninem
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, I really thought I read that somewhere...thanks for clearing that up.

Actually I have a RHEL 4 image of one of our servers..I have been given a Windows Server 2003 machine with VMWare server..I want to be able to restore that partimage file into a new virtual machine. I know this is probably isn't the best place to be asking this question, but how could I go about doing this? If I boot a live CD that can restore PartImage files into the new VM, where do I need the actual image file sitting? USB? On the host local drive?

And if I can do it this way, do I really need to use Converter at all, since it is technically a new VM anyway?

Thanks a ton for the assistance..

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

With RedHat Converter4 is an interesting option.

If you directly restore the partimage you would still need to patch drivers - create a new initrd, edit fstab if necessary and so on.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
keninem
Contributor
Contributor

I know it's going to be a bear to get all of that done, but I have to take it one step at a time..if not by using Converter, can you think of an easier way?

Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I had a similar problem. You can't import .gho files directly with converter., howervver what you can do is ghost the image into a VM. I created a Ghost boot disk, booted up my VM with it and installed my image. Worked great.

Mike

0 Kudos
keninem
Contributor
Contributor

I confirmed, by actually looking at the VM Converter, that it can import files that were created by Ghost 9, 10, and 11.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Yes, but not with a .gho extension. Versions 9 10 and 11 can be converted directly with VMware converter.

0 Kudos