VMware Cloud Community
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

P2V with Converter 5.1 fails

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a physical machine which runs RedHat EL 5.1 with Converter Standalone 5.1 installed on Windows 7.

The process start by taking the fingerprint of the source system and this step fails. I see in '/var/log/secure' that SSH connections are succesful (root connection is allowed, both source machine and converter are on the same LAN and IP addresses are authorized anywhere).

During the attempt, I can see that the temporary folder is created under /tmp/.

I tried with Convert 5.0.1 & 4.1, but same failure.

Anyone has an idea of the root cause?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Recreate the issue and send us the converter bundle

0 Kudos
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

Done.  Are they the expected files?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you disable the UAC on the Windows 7 machine.  [05984 error 'Default'] UAC is enabled! the P2V conversion will probably fail with non elevated administrator 'alemoine'

0 Kudos
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. I attach the new logs.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your problem is execution of vmware-sysinfo program:

2013-06-20T11:14:08.268+02:00 [07240 error 'Default'] Sysinfo Query failed with error [Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] execution of vmware-sysinfo failed; return code: 139; result: ./vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh: line 21:  9279 Erreur de segmentation  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$abslibdir" "$libdir"/$binary "$@"

You must check your libraries version, some upgrades should help.

HTH

0 Kudos
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

I see this but I don't understand which cause the failure.

How can I find them?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can copy and execute vmware-sysinfo-lin32 on live Linux, attempt to start script and check what the error is.

Also check the kernel version - could not be compatible, see manual.

0 Kudos
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

Done :

# sh vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh

# vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh: line 21: 10863 Segmentation fault LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$abslibdir" "$libdir"/$binary "$@"

Kernel version is  2.6.18-128.el5. What's the manual? VMware Converter ?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes - the Converter Manual, http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_51_guide.pdf

RHEL 5.x is supported, so some library is not up-to-date.

0 Kudos
adrien92
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find the librairies in the Converter Manual. How can I find them?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/195680?start=0&tstart=0 this thread could be useful, includes vmware-sysinfo sources too.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

They are not in the manual. You can try to manually extract in a temp folder and execute vmware-sysinfo binary on the source server. Most likely it will crash (it crashes when it is invoked by Converter). You can see in the temp folder the shared libraries vmware-sysinfo is using and try to replace them with the ones provided with your system. Hopefully if the crash is in some library the system-provided version will not crash.

Contributor
Contributor

I just tried to extract C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-sysinfo-lin32.tar.gz on the target server.

I still have this error: vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh: line 21: 17176 Erreur de segmentation  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$abslibdir" "$libdir"/$binary "$@" even if I replace all the librairies with the one installed on the server (in /lib, /usr/lib, etc.).

0 Kudos
rickyreys
Contributor
Contributor

Have almost same problem, but with a windoes server 2003 (not a domain), has Raid 5, gorgot to put sysprep files but got that done.  After process initiates unknown error message appears.  Tried changing scsi controllers, just to try, but nothing.  ANy help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

Not likely the same problem, because as far as I can tell you are converting a Windows server, but this thread is about a RedHat Linux conversion.