VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

P2V windows 2003 R2 64 bit failed Error: Unable to clone volume 'D:'.

Hello everyone

Can someone help me with the issue P2V a win2k3 64 bit machine into vmware?

I am using esxi 4.1 Update 1 with vmware converter standalone 4.3, it always stopped at Drive D, while no problem on Drive C:

I tried chkdsk on drive D, but seems doesnot help.

more information on the system:

HDD : C: 400GB, 😧 1.7TB

database: MS SQL 2005 installed by SAP

one concern is the system cannot be shut down during conversion.

many thanks in advance for your help. Thank you.

Johnny

0 Kudos
25 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::CloneVolume: Detected a write error during the cloning of volume \WindowsBitmapDriverVolumeId=[59-4E-26-28-00-7E-00-00-00-00-00-00]. Error: 37409 (type: 1, code: 2338)",

1. Is C:\ it's own disk or are C:\ and D:\ 2 partitions on the same physical disk/array?

2. D:\ is not a Windows dynamic disk, right?

3. Are you resizing the disks during conversion?

4. What VMFS block size do you have on your destination datastore on the ESX(i) side? With 1.7TB the D:\ drive virtual Disk needs a 8MB VMFS blocksize that supports a maximum filesize of 2TB-512Byte.

5. Do you have enough free space on that destination datastore (after C:\ finishes)? You won't be able to fit the full 400GB C:\ and 1.7TB D:\ on the same VMFS as ESXi <5.0 only supports LUNs of up to 2TB.

You can also try using Converter 5 as it supports ESX(i) 4.x destinations too.

Check out this article referencing the above error too:

http://www.vi-tips.com/2012/06/p2v-error-blocklevelvolumeclonemgr-and.html

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is network error when second disk cone is started:

[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvrRecv: failed with code = 8
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvr_DDBSet: failed to receive reply, error = 8
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvrSend: failed
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 warning 'App'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvr_IO: failed to send io message
[2012-11-19 13:08:59.703 09456 error 'task-1'] TargetVolumeWriter::WriteToVolume(): Error (type: 1, code: 2338) writing 303104 bytes to the destination volume at offset 0x0000000000000000

You can try to convert disks separately i.e. in 2 different conversions.

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

1. Is C:\ it's own disk or are C:\ and D:\ 2 partitions on the same physical disk/array?

-->they are on same physical disk/array

2. D:\ is not a Windows dynamic disk, right?

--> it is MBR disk only

3. Are you resizing the disks during conversion?

--> I did not resize it, just selected thin provisioning

4. What VMFS block size do you have on your destination datastore on the ESX(i) side? With 1.7TB the D:\ drive virtual Disk needs a 8MB VMFS blocksize that supports a maximum filesize of 2TB-512Byte.

-->yes, it is 8MBS VMFS block size

5. Do you have enough free space on that destination datastore (after C:\ finishes)? You won't be able to fit the full 400GB C:\ and 1.7TB D:\ on the same VMFS as ESXi <5.0 only supports LUNs of up to 2TB.

--> it has enough space

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

re POCEH

how can i solve this problem, i can select only c: single drive, but cannot select only d:

Johnny

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Converter 5.0.x allows to deselect system/bootable disk C:

So you need one conversion for disk 😧 (don't warry fail at reconfig task) and one conversion for disk C:, then simply add disk 😧 to VM with disk C: (don't forget to move VMDK file within 'real' machine folder, then delete the first 'fake' VM).

HTH

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the converter 5.0.1, but it doesnot help, it was super slow and not likely can be finish. when i was using converter version 4.3, drive C can be finish in 2 hrs, but while using 5.0.1, it cannot finish after 10hrs.

Do you have any other idea to solve this?

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter 5.x uses SSL encryption to secure the traffic from source to destination which can result in slow conversions.

Set the Config/nfc/useSsl option to false in converter-worker.xml, then restart the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker service and try converting again.

See:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1854580

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can resolve speed issue with Converter 5 disabling SSL connection.

In the same section in converter-worker.xml you can try to increase Nfc timeouts, especially fssrvr ones (but this is wild guest, I can't offer any concrete value).

HTH

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

cant you use robocopy for drive 😧 ?

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

robocopy is not possible, since both physical and virtual cannot online at the sametime.

I justed disabled the SSL and trying to p2v again 2 dirves separately. clone 2 drives together also failed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> robocopy is not possible, since both physical and virtual cannot online at the sametime.

To robocopy into a vmdk you can just use any other VM you already have - no need to have source and target up at the same time

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

can you provide detail steps? thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

assume
host 1 = your p2v source - has two drives C:\ and D:\
VM 1 = the result of your Converter import with only drive C:\ - VM lives in dir1 on the datastore
VM 2 = thats an already existing VM of the same guestOS type - it already has one vmdk used as C:\ - VM lives in dir2 on the datastore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. add new vmdk to VM1 - this will be the future D:\ - do not start VM1
2. assign the new blank vmdk to VM2 , start the VM2 and partition and format the new vmdk as needed
3. create a Windows-share using the whole new vmd

4. go to host1 and connect to the Windows-share of VM2 - assign driveletter E:
5. run robocopy d: e: /MIR

that maybe even faster than the Converter  - and is very reliable - as it can be restarted after network dropouts

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

it does not work with convert D drive seperately, C dirve can complete while D drive was failed

see attached log

error message: FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:
'converter.fault.FileIOFault'

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

i will find another VM with same OS and try use robocopy method.

but what will be the steps after robocopy? how to add it back to the VM1?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The error is:

2012-11-21T22:03:01.911+08:00 [07844 error 'task-5'] BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::ReadAndSkipBadBlocks(): Unrecoverable error (type: 2, code: 2) reading 655360 bytes starting from 0x000001ae20a92000 from the source volume 😧
You need to run chkdsk with  /R (Locates bad sectors) option on your 😧 disk.

0 Kudos
JohnnyLeung
Contributor
Contributor

i did chkdsk on drice D before, not likely can help, any other suggestion? thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did you run chkdsk d: /f /x /r ?

If you used other parameters or none at all - that was useless.

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I've just experienced a similar issue, i.e., "BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::CloneVolume: Detected a write error during the cloning of volume \WindowsBitmapDriverVolumeId=[59-4E-26-28-00-7E-00-00-00-00-00-00]. Error: 37409 (type: 1, code: 2338)".

I'm running Converter Standalone v5.1.0 Build 1087880 and when I attempted to P2V a Windows 2003 server with a C: and 😧 drive, the C: drive completed successfully and then it failed as it started the 😧 drive. The speed of the P2V was *EXTREMELY SLOW*, I'm talking 566KB/s!!! After reading through all these posts, I disabled the SSL encryption and then fixed my problem. The physical server I'm converting is a very old Proliant model and I'm thinking that its CPU just couldn't handle the load from the encryption.

Thanks,

George.

0 Kudos