VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert

P2V of w2k with dynamic disks/software raid

Hi -

Can anyone help confirm whether the stand alone converter should be able to do a live conversion of a w2k box that has phsyical drives that are mirrored by windows? We completed a conversion, but the resultant VM could not boot - did not see it's disks.

If this will not work - do you know of any other tools that will allow us to do this? Basically this is a "critical" server that cannot be re-installed (legacy software, long gone install media, company is gone, etc ...) so we need to find a way to virtualize it as it's hardware is getting really old.

Suggestions welcomed!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Moved to the Converter forums

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This p2v that fail, if you have this virtual machine yet, go to edit settings, and check controller if is BUS Logic or LSI Logic, the correct to works fine need be LSI.

If necessary change it , and power on to see if boot correct.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

We completed a conversion, but the resultant VM could not boot - did not see it's disks.

Did the conversion task finish successfully?

Maybe it was only the disk controller which was not set correctly on the virtualized VM. Did you get an error message?

André

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

It did complete successfully.

I will check the disk controller - I think the VM is still there.

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

I think the problem may be that the disks are IDE?

So - there is no SCSI controller. That's prbly why they did dynamic disks and windows mirroring, too --- dammit!

Is there any tool that can convert a VM running IDE disks as windows dynamic disks into a VM? I think that IDE disks are now supported in ESX4.1, aren't they?

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

So I'm finding it impossible to confirm one way or the other -- are the following items supported in a P2V source:

IDE disks

Windows dynamic disks

Does anyone know for sure?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You could try to convert the VM again. But this time select the appropriate target disk controller for the VM (IDE) in step 3.

Converter-Devices.JPG

André

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

That's a great idea -

I'll try that - my only lingering uncertainty is whether the problem may really be in the fact that the disks are dynamic - do you know for sure that converter supports that?

P

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for 2000 with dynamic disks use Converter 3.0.3 and slightly resize the partitions

3.0.3 correctly configures the controller as BUSLOGIC
LSI and IDE options of newer Converters will fail.

if you still have the VM created with your first attempt please post the vmx-file

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

adding an ide controller did not do it. Also breaking the windows mirror did not do it.

Grrr

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

OK - I will try that.

But where can I get converter 3.03?

And are you saying that even though the physical disks are IDE, I should explicitly select a BUSLOGIC scsci controller?

Thanx for posting suggestions, I really appreciate it! I'll do the whole points thing for everybody once this thread runs its course.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter 3.0.3 is here
http://download3.vmware.com/software/converter/VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816.exe

about the Controller-choice ...

for Windows 2000 Buslogic is the only option that Converter can handle - so if you want the easy way Buslogic is trhe way to go.
Converter 3.0.3 configures this correctly already - later versions offer more options ...

Anyway - you received enough contradicting answers already so lets get serious now.

You said you already tried once and that did not boot.
Please explain what happened at boot exactly ?
Do you get a bluescreen ? - that would be very good and we can easily fix it.
If you did not get a bluescreen - then please explain what you see

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

OK I am downloading and will try the older converter and a buslogic controller. Still seems odd to me that IDE physical disks would convert to SCSI virtual disks?

But anyway --

As for what has happened with other attempts: unfortunately this has been a two person effort, and I have not actually seen the resultant screens. What I have been told is "no disk" - basically there are blank disks created???

And now the other dude has deleted the failed attempts. So - I will try again with the 3.03 converter (thank you very much for the link) and will report back as to status.

Ted

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

Dangit - this 3.03 install is asking for a license key or it will run in "starter mode" - what is that, exactly?

And - is the code I'm installing the standalone converter or the integrated with vcenter one? If integrated - will it work with vcenter 4.1?

Damn this is messy! lol! I've checked and I do not think we have a seperate "converter" license, though we do have current enterprise licensing with vcenter server foundation (3 hosts).

Thoughts? Can I run in "starter mode" to p2v to my esx host? Is this the integrated or not? If I need a license, where do I get it?

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

crap - so sans a license my only option is to clone to "other virtual machine type" ---

sigh ...

Anyone have an idea how I can license this GD thing so that I can clone (or try to clone) this GD server?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that is no problem - select Workstation 6 compatible as target and store the result in a networkshare or USB disk

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

sigh - come on, there has to be a better answer than that?

I have done these conversions from workstation format before - not exactly pretty IMHO - and especially as it is exactly on my esx host where I have access to the storage required. If I can use the new standalone converter why in HE## can't I use an old one?

aarrgg

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

oh and by the way "workstation 6" is not on the list of options: only "other virtual machine type" ...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Starter Mode only allows a single conversion at a time. In "licensed mode" you could set up multiple concurrent conversions.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos