VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2V of a Windows 7 OEM Workstation

Hi,

It is requested by my manager to perform a P2V of a Windows 7 workstation running OEM license.

After the P2V, windows license is not genuine and need another license key to reactivate (We have done this part).

Then we run SYSPREP but we get a fatal error.  We just wonder whether it would be a problem if we use the VM (i.e. P2V one) and physical workstation running Windows 7 for a while (Both of them have been joined to AD) ?   Do we need to remove the physical workstation from AD as SYSPREP fails ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's depends of what the error is - if fail is about domain add because of same name/credentials - probably you should change the name or disconnect original machine.

Check for sysprep error(s) in C:\Windows\Panther\setuperr.log and C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setuperr.log

HTH

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have already changed the name of the VM (Different from the physical one).

The error message is "A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine".

I have also followed the steps listed here but still no good

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/425bd101-8a87-488c-b2e2-9f2f8113a0d9/syspr...

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sometimes the sysprep is not working as expected because of many different reasons - why you don't try to do customization steps manually?

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also don't want to spend time on SYSPREP but my colleague would like to get both physical and VM running.  Though the VM is connected to Domain, some fellows say that sooner or later, my colleague will have permission problems and the problem will come back to me.

On the other hand, besides changing Computer Name, joining Domain, is there any other steps I have missed out?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Probably this is all you want to change besides the IP/Network configuration.

HTH

0 Kudos