VMware Cloud Community
dpicone
Contributor
Contributor

P2V migration to VM Server... to ESX4i

I recently used Converter for the first time. All I can say is "EASY!"Love it.

The P2V process worked without a flaw. I converted the Guest OS, moved it to the latest version of VMWare Server, powered it on, ansered a couple of questions and Viola!

Recently I installed ESX4 and I'm trying to move the VM from VM Server to ESX4 but I get the following message.

Unable to open disk for SCSI device scsi0:0. Unsupported and/or invalid disk type 7. Did you forget to import the disk first? Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0 <file location.vmdk> Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

I presume it has something to do with the Virtual SCSI controller configuration. I reviewed the config. On the VM Server it was using a buslogic controller. When I recreate the VM machine I chose the buslogic parallel driver.

I eventually tried all three Virtual SCSI controller drivers but none of them worked. I get the same response.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Isn't there a way to Import an existing VM instead of recreating it and connecting the Disk files?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Are you using the latest VMWare Standalone Converter 4.0. Using this you would be able to convert your VMServer VM to ESX or why don't you do P2V direct to your ESX using the VMWare Standalone Converter 4.0

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please post the vmdk for SCSI device scsi0:0.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
dpicone
Contributor
Contributor

I used VM Converter Standalone 3.0.3.

I can't P2V directly to ESX because the box I installed the ESX is the one I previosly virtualized. Since I wasn't able to convert the server and configure ESX on the same day, I chose to convert to external storage. then Imported it into VM Server, now that I'm done configuring ESX4 I'm trying to move it.

I also tried taking the original files from the external storage(knowing I would loose a couple of days of data), copy them into the ESX datastore and importing it directly into ESX, but the new VM in invenroty shows Unknown Invalid and it can't read any of the settings from the VM.

I'm attaching the content of the vmx file.

0 Kudos
Intex
Contributor
Contributor

Did this resolve this issue? We're having the same problem.

0 Kudos
dpicone
Contributor
Contributor

NO I was never able to resolve it.

I installed ESX on another server, installed the original HDDs and ran P2V again.

let me know if you find a different solution.

0 Kudos