VMware Cloud Community
suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V linux conversion fails with fault.ManagedDiskOpenFault.summary

Hi everybody,

I am getting this really strange/rare error when trying to do a P2V converion. Both remote Linux Server as well as the local Win7 PC.

from gui-log:

2013-11-02T10:31:37.409+01:00 [12580 error 'wizardController'] Unable to submit job: converter.fault.ManagedDiskOpenFault

2013-11-02T10:31:37.409+01:00 [12580 verbose 'Locale'] Default resource used for 'ManagedDiskOpenFault.summary' expected in module 'fault'.

2013-11-02T10:31:37.409+01:00 [09512 error 'ConversionState'] Submit job failed: fault.ManagedDiskOpenFault.summary

2013-11-02T10:31:37.409+01:00 [09512 error 'ConverterWizardWindow'] Next/Finish failed: fault.ManagedDiskOpenFault.summary

Interesting part from hostd.log on ESXi Host where vcenter Vapp is running and VM is supposed to be created:

hostd.log:2013-11-02T09:43:47.912Z [42B81B70 warning 'Hostsvc.VFlashManager' opID=hostd-d733] GetVFlashResourceRuntimeInfo: vFlash is not licensed, not supported

hostd.log:2013-11-02T09:44:25.009Z [FFC72B70 error 'Hostsvc.VFlashManager' opID=hostd-1011 user=vpxuser] CheckLicense: vFlash is not licensed. error = [N5Vmomi9DataArrayINS_18LocalizableMessageEEE:0xffd76260]

kinda seems to be the tipping point after which the vmx creation starts getting rolled back again. The disks to trash for a short few seconds before the error appears btw.

Neither vFlush nor ManagedDiskOpenFault give me any useful google or forum hits...

anybody got hunches?

thanks a lot in advance

Remo Strotkamp

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Damn! Found the problem thanks to you locating worker log for me! 🙂

(wonder why it wasn't included in the bundle...)

The Linux Server I was trying to P2V was our external DNS Server. So DNS wasn't working anymore so I changed my local Win7 to google.

Later I changed our internal DNS to use google instead of our external as "next hop" and forgot to change my Win7 DNS config to use our internal one again instead of google DNS.

Now the P2V for my Win7 PC is running....

thanks a ton for your help 🙂

Remo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

just thought some additional info might be useful:

- ESXi, vCenter and Converter are all 5.5

- The vCenter VM is the official VMWare OVA one.

- We have Essentials License

- ESXi is install from ISO from VMWare. Did I maybe mess that one up and include features that are not covered by our Essentials License?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you upload the log bundle? (The worker log can be helpful.)

suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Poceh,

thanks for the reply. I just did another conversion Job of my local PC (where the Converter is running). Didn't produce a worker log, but a server log instead. I hope that is useful as well.

One thing I didn't mention before is when I watch the Webinterface or vSphere Client, I can see the new VM getting created, being there for 5-10s then getting nuked again...

thanks for any help

Remo

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunatly converter-worker.log is most important, check "%ALLUSERPROFILE%\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs" folder

suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here we go 🙂

0 Kudos
suissimage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Damn! Found the problem thanks to you locating worker log for me! 🙂

(wonder why it wasn't included in the bundle...)

The Linux Server I was trying to P2V was our external DNS Server. So DNS wasn't working anymore so I changed my local Win7 to google.

Later I changed our internal DNS to use google instead of our external as "next hop" and forgot to change my Win7 DNS config to use our internal one again instead of google DNS.

Now the P2V for my Win7 PC is running....

thanks a ton for your help 🙂

Remo

0 Kudos
MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi Poceh I met the same trouble . "FAILED: fault.ManagedDiskOpenFault.summary"

I wanted to transfer win server2003 into VMware.Here is my Log..pleaseSmiley Wink

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hm... I don't see this fault in given log. The most important log here is converter-agent.log from physical machine. Very often this fault means that your physical machine do not has access to ESX host. Check this and upload agent log if conversion still fails.

MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help, I'm a fresh man about VM , could you tell me some common ways to solve this problem .

the agent log is like"converter diagnostics 2012xxxx.zip"?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need an access from converter machine to ESX host at port 902. There are details in Converter's manual.

The agent log could be found inside diaganostic log bundle Smiley Happy

HTH

MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you very much. I've got what you mean,  so kind you are .:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Smiley Sad   hey man.  I still can't work out. Here is the diaganostic log....please~

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Seems you hit ESX's connection limits. Try the conversion again as single conversion tasks pointing this ESX. HTH

0 Kudos
MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think  it means I should try to make a conversion from physical machine to the Vcenter which is installed ESXi ?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The problem is that ESX has limitation of how many connections are handled simultaneously. This is not about where Converter is running.

0 Kudos
MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmmmmm.............what should I do ...I don't know where to set itSmiley Sad

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try your conversion when no other conversions with this ESX as destination are running.

0 Kudos
MrZhao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

。。still can't succeed   i'm going to collapse

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I think you should check again your firewall settings. The log contains consistently the same error connecting to host 10.2.5.100 at port 902 for several conversion attempts:

2013-12-23T17:54:12.772+08:00 [01212 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server 10.2.5.100:902

As Rosen wrote, Converter server machine needs to access the ESX host at port 902 for the conversions to succeed.

HTH

Plamen