VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

P2V for Lotus Notes Server ?

Hi,

There is a request to perform a P2V for a Windows 2003 Server running as Lotus Notes Server.

Just would like to seek your advice what is the steps I have to take in order to prevent a major problem to my company.

I believe that end users can still use Lotus Notes when Hot Migration is conducted.  Is it correct ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

Perform a synchronizable P2V and instruct Converter to stop the Notes service(s). It will do so right before the sync. If you can allow - schedule the sync in off hours. Users can use the source machine during the conversion.

You can also schedule the synchronization as non final, test the VM, then do a final sync. The service will be stopped only before the final sync.

And of course - do not decomission the source machine until you have verified everything is OK with the new VM.

HTH,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

Perform a synchronizable P2V and instruct Converter to stop the Notes service(s). It will do so right before the sync. If you can allow - schedule the sync in off hours. Users can use the source machine during the conversion.

You can also schedule the synchronization as non final, test the VM, then do a final sync. The service will be stopped only before the final sync.

And of course - do not decomission the source machine until you have verified everything is OK with the new VM.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Nithy07cs055
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Download the sysprep tool for 2003

Stop and Disable  all major services / apps temporary, Anti virus , SQl,

In case if it throws an error ,  install the agent on the server manually from the set up

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter-agent.exe

Capture all your Network Configuration details , IP , MAC ,

start the convertor maunally or Remote

seetings as follows

CPU as it is on Physical server

the Disk controller as supported in 2003

No vmware tools , install in after powering on the server

Dont not power on

after the conversion is completed

Install Vmware tools

Networking configured

Re-enable the services

Clean up and sanity checks

if we end up with the IDE error ,

simply create a new disk and point to the existing one ,, this will adjust the SCSI devices compatibility error

Thanks and Regards, Nithyanathan R Please follow my page and Blog for more updates. Blog : https://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Nithyanathan Twitter @Nithy55 Facebook Vmware page : https://www.facebook.com/Virtualizationworld
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I perform P2V multiple times - i.e. P2V the Notes Server and ask Mail Administrator for testing.  If he is OK with P2V, then I perform the second P2V ?

Where can I schedule the synchronization ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can perform as many sync tasks as you wish, only that you has to schedule them each time. See the user guide for details.

Note that a sync task is much shorter that a full P2V - it transfers only the changes from the source.

There are a few limitations you should be aware of - have at least one NTFS volume, do not shrink volumes, and do not change cluster size. Hope this is acceptable.

Regards

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have run P2V a number of times before but not aware of the sync function (Those Servers are not as critical as Lotus Notes Server).

Can I grab a physical server and test P2V Sync ?  Just would like to see will the P2V agent on that server doing any harm ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sure. Synchronization has been along since Converter 4.0 (though scheduling it was since 5.0)