VMware Cloud Community
John176
Contributor
Contributor

P2V fails for Linux at 2%

Hello everyone,

I am trying to P2V some of the Linux servers we have. The process fails at 2%. I am able to login to the newly created VM via console and I see that it is stuck at the "converter login" prompt. I have tried multiple logins but nothing works. If anyone ran into the same issue can you please help ?

I have no problems converting windows. Its just linux.

Converter version is 6

Linux versions: CentOS 5.3 and CentOS 6.5

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

What does the worker log says about that? Post it here for examination.

The destination VM has booted Converter helper ISO; login is disabled there.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
John176
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen,

These are the mesgs I am seeing in the logs. The network connection to the source is good from the helper VM. When it boots to the ISO it is able to ping the default gateway. Also,

if I turn <useSourcePasswordInHelperVm>true</useSourcePasswordInHelperVm> to be true in "converter-worker.xml" I am able to type the user name and the password on the source server and I see the # prompt but nothing happens after that.

msg = "A general system error occurred: getaddrinfo <source server>: Name or service not known

--> getaddrinfo <source server>: Name or service not known

--> getaddrinfo <source server>: Name or service not known

--> Network error. Host <source server> key can't be retrieved.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
John176
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new temp VM, mounted the "converter-helper-vm-x64.iso" and booted it. It fails at a bunch of things and still gets stuck at "converter login".

At this point there is no network connectivity on this temp VM so I am guessing its failing to retrieve the login info by itself because of that, but I should still be able to type in a user name and password, but nothing works. Here's the screen shot.

pastedImage_0.png

When I am running the actual converter process I know for sure there is network connectivity as I can see successful pings going to the default gateway and the converter and the helper are in the same subnet.

Thanks again for help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please upload the worker log from such a failed conversion? You can also send it to me in a private message.

0 Kudos
John176
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen, how do I send it to you in a private message ?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Click on my profile, there is a 'Message' button.

0 Kudos
John176
Contributor
Contributor

I have forwarded you the log file in a separate mesg.

Thanks

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is the GUI client log. The worker log is located in "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs" om the machine where Converter server is installed and named "vmware-converter-worker-#.log". There are several logs there; please make sure to send the one when the problem has occurred. The best thing would be to retry the conversion, see the error, and get the last log right after that.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
John176
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen,

I uploaded the new file.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The error has occurred during in the beginning of cloning,

2017-04-05T12:05:29.160-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[22372] [Originator@6876 sub=task-16] CloneTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 2, xfer rate (Bps): <unknown>

2017-04-05T12:05:29.160-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[22940] [Originator@6876 sub=task-15] Worker CloneTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 2, xfer rate (Bps): <unknown>

2017-04-05T12:05:29.213-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[22372] [Originator@6876 sub=task-16] Volume-based cloning sprd-chi-bcp02 --> sprd-chi-bcp02 updates, state: 4, percentage: 2, xfer rate (Bps): <unknown>

2017-04-05T12:05:29.215-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[22372] [Originator@6876 sub=task-16] Generating helperVM task bundle for task with id="task-1".

2017-04-05T12:05:29.270-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[22372] [Originator@6876 sub=task-16] Retrieving helper VM log bundle to "C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-temp\vmware-SYSTEM\helperVM-task-1-zutkuxkq.zip".

Unfortunately the worker log doesn't contain anything else interesting. There should be something in the helper log which is in the bundle mentioned above.

0 Kudos