VMware Cloud Community
luk_as
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V fails @ 1% unable to create VSS snapshot (0x80042316)

Hi All,

I'm trying to convert old Win2k3 server to my vSphere environment using vCenter Converter Standalone (tried version 5.0 to 5.5) and job is failing at first percent with error:

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754774 (0x80042316)

At source machine there are no errors in eventlog.

ps. is there still chance to download vcenter converter earlier than 4.0?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PetrM001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I had similar issue. Once restart of VSS services helped (or was it restart of the server?), in the second case it didn't help and we used the old version of converter with bootable CD. I don't know where to download it now, though. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

This is not due to converter version. It is a VSS error (VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS). Have a look at this article: VMware KB: VMware Converter fails at 1% on Windows Server 2003 with the error code 2147754774

Regards

luk_as
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plamen,

thanks for quick reply, I've found that article earlier, but I've checked and I have only one VSS provider

"Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider"

Any other suggestions? how about converter 3.x - I found that it use cold conversion that should help in case of VSS error (?)

0 Kudos
PetrM001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I had similar issue. Once restart of VSS services helped (or was it restart of the server?), in the second case it didn't help and we used the old version of converter with bootable CD. I don't know where to download it now, though. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the boot CD for cold cloning is not available for download anymore.

I would also suggest restarting VSS (and if that doesn't help - the whole machine). Getting the same error after restart when there are no additional providers is something that looks very improbable (just because I dare not use the word 'impossible' Smiley Happy).

0 Kudos
luk_as
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll try with bootable CD with vmware converter. Let you know next week about results!

0 Kudos