VMware Cloud Community
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

P2V -- destination not found.

Hello,

I am trying to do P2V from a physical server to a running ESX 3 server. I can connect to the physical server fine, I can even select the storage location on the ESX server. It then fails after this screen with this error in the log:

CheckDestAvailable called

Starting execution of a Task

Successfully connected to VMImporter

Task failed: P2VError IMPORT_DEST_MANAGED_HOST_NOT_FOUND()

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

fyi...this thread has been moved to the VMware Converter forum...

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

More information:

There is a firewall involved but I opened IP up both ways between the physical host and both the ESX host and VC host. I am able to ping the host names involved from all servers. I am attempting this by IP address even. Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I still need some help. I was able to do a P2V from on another physical machine that is located within the same subnet but I cannot get the other one to work. I am struggling to find differences between the servers.

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind, it was the hostname of the VC server that was the issue. I thought I had checked that.

0 Kudos
rabelo
Contributor
Contributor

What wat the issue?

I'm have the same problem but I don't know how to solve.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter v3.0.2-u1

This is a generic guide and all may not apply - for instance if you are not using VirtualCenter, there is no need to test the connection between ESX and VC.

Check basic network

• ping from source system to VC host

• ping from VC to ESX target system

• ping from source system to ESX target system

• ping from ESX target system to VC host

• ping from ESX target to source system

Check the port usage (use telnet to verify)

• Converter application to remote physical machine - 445 and 139

• Converter application to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Converter application to ESX Server 3.x - 443

• Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Physical machine to ESX Server 3.x - 443 and 902

- If you are using Converter 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 make sure you do not have a web server using port 443 while running Converter

Check credentials and privileges

• Ensure that each username can login to all systems (you may want to create one admin account on all systems to simply the testing)

• Ensure the user has permission to create a VM on the target system

• Ensure the user has access to LUNs on the target system

• Ensure the user has write privilege on target system storage devices

• Verify that the user can create a new VM on each target system from VirtualCenter

Verify space requirements

• Check available file space on all systems (Depending on your method you will either need space equal to the selected drive or to the space used on the source drive.)

• Verify that the Target VMname does not exist on target system

• Optionally, turn firewall off on 3.0.x ESX servers

If you install converter directly onto the physical machine you are converting and point directly to ESX via IP using "root" you only need to test ports 902 and 443.

0 Kudos
wtfdic4an
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

Had the same IMPORT_DEST_MANAGED_HOST_NOT_FOUND()

problem. All the correct ports were open and all the hosts could ping

each other (thanks theanykey).

What made the difference was having the VCS hostname resolvable

in DNS.

0 Kudos
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a Reverse Lookup Zone and adding the Hostname of the ESX server resolved this issue for me. Make sure you have forward and reverse lookup zones for the host., however as the Wizard Progressed the progress got up to 2% and once again I found IMPORT_DEST_MANAGED_HOST_NOT_FOUND was logged.

I have no firewalls in between the client or the host, and all ports are open. I have forward and reverse DNS entries for the sources and destinations machines. The only difference there are on different VLANS.

I've tried using the wizard purely with IP (not DNS) and that still doesn't work. My only other thought is to check the DNS cache on a ESX3i server, but i'm not sure how to do this.

0 Kudos
jgarib20
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue as well. I was trying to import a machine in the DMZ zone to a host that is on another network along with the VC server. I double checked and all machines could ping each other, used a standard local administrator account present on all the machines and all the ports were open.

The solution for me was that the machine I was trying to import could not resolve the FQDN of the ESX host or VC server. I manually pointed the FQDN names to the IP's in the machines hosts file and the import ran successfully.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos
frdnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same problem. the source and the VC were firewalled. I've opened the 445 139 902, but it seems that 443 is needed. you'd better check your agent log.

0 Kudos