vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  P2V converter through VirtualCenter not working

Posted Mar 12, 2008 07:15 PM

I have a question in regards to importing P2V into VC. This seems to fail for either cold or warm conversions. I can do a P2V directly to the host though which is not in issue except in the sense is that this network is client based and having to do permissions on the host and the VC is twice the work for the clients, unless I am missing something. Just find it easier to stick with VC if at all possible. I have attached both the 'client' and 'converter' logs. This test was from a remote network to the VMware network. I was not able to P2V through the VC but was successful to P2V to the host. I originally thought it was a network issue but to this point I have found no indication of such. Both VC and host are on the same subnet with no port blocking, I also went through the 'Conversion Best Practice' doc but found nothing that would relate or was already in place for P2V.

Thanks in advance.

Attachment(s)

log
    vmware-converter-0.log   118 KB 1 version
    log
    vmware-client-0.log   32 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: P2V converter through VirtualCenter not working

Posted Mar 13, 2008 03:47 PM

attempting to create connection to vpxa-nfc://[baseline_vps] DR-WS8/DR-WS8.vmdk@esx01.baseline-vps.local:902

Opening vpxa-nfc://[baseline_vps] DR-WS8/DR-WS8.vmdk@esx01.baseline-vps.local:902 failed with error2338

Failed to connect to peer.

Couldn't connect to esx01.baseline-vps.local:902

Cannot connect to host esx01.baseline-vps.local: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

DR-WS8/DR-WS8.vmdk@esx01.baseline-vps.local:902: Failed to open NBD extent.

DR-WS8/DR-WS8.vmdk@esx01.baseline-vps.local:902: failed to open (NBD_ERR_NETWORK_CONNECT).

Rethrowing MethodFault sysimage.fault.FileOpenError:

Cloning failed!

Check the port usage (use telnet to verify)

• Converter application to remote physical machine - 445 and 139

• Converter application to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Converter application to ESX Server 3.x - 443

• Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Physical machine to ESX Server 3.x - 443 and 902

• If you are using Converter 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 make sure you do not have a web server using port 443 while running Converter

You could try installing converter directly inside the 172.29.210.127 machine and point to ESX (username = root) which means you only need to verify port 443 and 902.

• 3.  RE: P2V converter through VirtualCenter not working

Posted Mar 20, 2008 06:17 PM

Thanks for the tips but I resolved the issue. Sorry it took so long to get back, there is not enough of me to get to everything here. The FQDN was incorrect on the DNS server when mounting the drive for the conversion.