VMware Cloud Community
morciod
Contributor
Contributor

P2V conversion of Windows 2003server running Sybase applicaiton

Hi... I heard there could be a problem with licenses or addressing when doing a P2V convert of a system running Sybase. We will shutdown the application prior to the conversion. is anyone aware of any issues??? We are doing this on Thursday 7/10.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Deb

Debbie
0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

When you say licensing/addressing? Are you talking about the Sybase application still being able to do licensing or licensing for Converter? As far as I'm aware VMware Converter can do live migration from physical to virtual. You might want to either look at the docs or contact VMware SR.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure about sybase but I have seen issues with specific application licenses binded to either a MAC address or to an IDE signature. Keep in mind that the MAC address of your physical source will change to a vmware vendor so anything linked to the old MAC address will be broken. When we convert sources with IDE disks, we change them to SCSI - again, anything linked to an IDE signature is lost. Both these cases are extremely rare and I have only seen each once in the last year and a half.

Other then that, best practice would be to disable everything. Use msconfig ...

To do so:

Click Start --> enter "msconfig" (without quotes)

Click on the "services" tab

Check the box for "hide all Microsoft services"

Select "disable all", then re-check the VMware services

Select the "startup" tab

Select "disable all" then re-check the VMware startup items

Reboot

0 Kudos