VMware Cloud Community
Richard_Zimbler
Contributor
Contributor

P2V automation

I'm a bit new to the virtualization space, so I apologize in advance if these questions are too basic. My scenario is the following: I'm using the VMware Converter version 3.0.2 to P2V a number of Windows 2003 servers as part of a temporary DR strategy. The Virtual servers will be running on an ESX 3.5 server. I have two questions:

The VMware Converter appears to be 100% GUI with no command line options. Are there any methods to automate the P2V process? Also, it seems the default IP setting for virtual NICs is DHCP. Is there a way preconfigure the IP address so as not to have to wait for the VM to load for the first time. (Yes, I'm aware of sysprep and what it can do, but its overkill. The only setting I want to change is the IP address.)

Thank you for your time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds like you will want to investigate p2vtool.exe options. Please note this is expiremental support.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual302.pdf (see the bottom)

Please note that when you replace a physical NIC with a new physical NIC, windows defaults to dynamic addressing. Same goes for when converter takes your physical NIC and replaces it with a virtual one. So even sysprep may not allow you to assign a static IP.

Solution: FYI - I have not tested this practice yet.

On the physical machine, prior to converting, run the following command.

netsh interface ip dump >>c:\nic_info.sh

This will create a netsh script that you can utilize on the VM afterwards. Once you have the VM running, you can either rename you NICs the way they were on the physical box or edit the *.sh file. Either way you go, afterward type the following in a DOS box.

netsh -f c:\nic_info.sh

This put most of the information back on your NICs.

Richard_Zimbler
Contributor
Contributor

Using netsh definitely looks like a useful way to go, with the NIC names being the only wrinkle. However, the p2vtools may be more problematic. If I'm reading the documentaion right, you can only use the post process parameters if your destination is an ESX server. In my case, its more accurate to say its the final destination -- I'm using my workstation as the initial destination for testing putposes and then I transfer the image to my ESX server. Anyway, thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos