VMware Cloud Community
chef
Contributor
Contributor

P2V a Domain Controller.

I am trying to P2V a Dc for a integration test with another company. The P2V completes 100%. When I power on the VM it boots to the login screen and before you can login it starts to shutdown the OS. I know VMware does not support p2v of a DC but I have done this in the past without issue. The machine I am trying to p2v is a Dell 2650 with the NICS teamed. I beleive the problem is with the NICs but I have not yet had a chance to break the team and try again.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wpatton
Expert
Expert

If you remove the nics from the virtual machine, can you boot up properly?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Can you boot into safe mode w/o networking and remove the teaming software from there?

0 Kudos
chef
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried removing the nics from the vM before booting. It still has the same issues. The reason I am thinking it is the Nics is that I did a P2v on another DC last year and had the same issue. I resolved it by booting in safemode and removing the nic from the machine and its registry.This however is not working with this DC.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

It may be faster and more consistently repeatable to just grab the system state and do a restore on a fresh vm at the other company.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Did you install tools or customize the DC during the conversion process?

I've seen it where the VM doesn't boot for the customization step and then can't complete what needs to be done. As a result, the VM will shutdown because of incomplete work being done in a "run once".

If you can attempt the conversion again, make sure to do a cold clone and not do any of the customization options.

0 Kudos