VMware Cloud Community
Billcan
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Windows 2008 AD controller failed.

HI All,

I saw some blogs about how to P2V AD controller but most of them was in Windows 2003. One blog said if you want to P2V AD controller successful you need operaion in AD restore mode but it can be done in windows 2003 and failed in Windows 2008.  I has been started VSS service and MS copy shadow provider service but still failed at 1%, it said can't create VSS snapshot. From the system log can I can see that " In DRSM , backup cannot be perferenced, please do it out of restore mode" (I forgot the details but the main point is right). In another way VSS can't be activated in DRSM. So does anybody has any idea about how to deal it?

sorry for my poor English, BTW I don't like cold clone.

Thanks a lot.

Neo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Firstly why are you P2V'ing an AD Server.  Why not just create a new VM and run DCPromo against it,  the conversion of Domain Controllers is fraught with issues.

I never recommend to customers to convert a Domain Controller, their are too many pitfall and hacks to go through to get a working machine, note I say working and not functional,  the vast majority of DC conversions have resulted in replication issue, to being locked out of a domain (fortunately it was a test environment and not production.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Billcan
Contributor
Contributor

I successful clone that AD later, I found it's hard disk control issue during clone system, I change that  from IDE to SCSI in Covert parnel then it's work normally:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Tom Howarth wrote:

Firstly why are you P2V'ing an AD Server.  Why not just create a new VM and run DCPromo against it,  the conversion of Domain Controllers is fraught with issues.

I never recommend to customers to convert a Domain Controller, their are too many pitfall and hacks to go through to get a working machine, note I say working and not functional,  the vast majority of DC conversions have resulted in replication issue, to being locked out of a domain (fortunately it was a test environment and not production.

THIS... building a new machine as letting AD replicate to is is always preferred.  You get a fresh install of the OS, and aren't subject to things that might be missed or might go wrong with the conversion/cloning process.  In actuality deploying a VM from a template and running DCPromo is likely going to take LESS time.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos