VMware Cloud Community
tbaio
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Warehouse management system project: Dell PE 6600 w/attached storage

P2V Warehouse management system project:

We are about to start our infrastructure upgrade to VMware 4.0, on 2 ESXi servers (Dell R710). We have a quite a few windows 2000 server boxes that we will convert to VM's.

The one we may have issues with is our Warehouse management system running on a Windows 2000 Advanced server, (Dell PE6600--multiple volumes attached to a Dell PV220s).

- Information and insights from people who done it and what to watch out for.

- I would like to hear about real case scenarios regarding P2V on Dell PE 6600 server and or WHS conversions, success stories or other.

- Oracle 8i running on a VM (P2V cases only).

- What should we look out for:

Bios issues?

Bus issues?

- Other than the Converter documentation and converting basics, I was mostly interested for those that actually converted production warehouse management systems.

- Warehouse system is Lilly software (now part of Infor) V. 2.3.28 from 2003-2004

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tbaio
Contributor
Contributor

The conversion of the System was completed two months ago. We used Hipskind(dot com) in Chicago for our consultation and setup, they are very experienced in Data Center management, Cloud computing and VMware conversions. Dana our Dell rep helped us with the proper specifications on the newer equipment.

- Windows 2000 advanced server came over in the VMware conversion process without issues, you need to use an older VMware converter version for windows  2000 ( VMware-converter-4.0.0-146302.exe and VMware-converter-4.0.1-161434.exe installable supported for ESXi 4.0-4.1)

If you use the bootable converter CD, these two versions are verified for windows 2000: VMware-convertercd-4.1.0-161418 VMware-convertercd-4.1.0-161418

- No problems with XP clients connecting to warehouse management server running the Oracle 8i and the centura SQL software

- After Conversion we needed to disable the sync driver under hidden devices (this was causing issues with the new backup exec backup process).

Some of the software components:

- Oracle8i
Release 3 (8.1.7.0.0) patch level 8.1.7.4.1 works without issues.

- Warehouse system is Lilly Visual Distribution software (now part of Infor) V. 2.3.28 from 2003-2004--no issues

- LSA Data register component (now part of Infor).

- Lilly--RF Host, Crystal 9 and 10 , loftware print server for labels v. 7.2.2.11, and the IBM data connection: ACE400/ Easycom

- Converted the host server volumes and also brought over the DL220s volumes (attached SCSI), expanded one volume for growth capacity.

This conversion will buy us time until we start building test environments in VMware for newer Data warehouse systems.

0 Kudos